What are the dimensions of e^2/(4*pi*epsilon_0) in terms of energy and distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that e^2/(4*pi*epsilon_0) has dimensions of energy times distance starting from Coulomb's law. The participants also mention using dimensional analysis to solve the problem.
eku_girl83
Here's my question:
Starting from Coulomb's law, show that e^2/(4*pi*epsilon_0) has dimensions of energy times distance.

Coulombs law is F=(1/(4*pi*episilon_0))*(q1*q2/r^2)
I understand how to convert the units for e^2/(4*pi*epsilon_0), where e is the charge of the electron, to ev * nm.
Could someone explain how I can use this in conjunction with Coulomb's law to answer the question above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with Coulomb's law:
[tex]F = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} e^2/r^2[/tex]
Now rearrange it to solve for [itex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} e^2[/itex].
Does that help?

When I do that, I get units of Newtons * (nanometers)^2 Is there any way that I can convert this into units of energy * distance?

You may be better off thinking in terms of dimensions instead of specific units.

Another hint: Energy has dimension of Force x Distance.

Thanks for helping! I figured out two more dimensional analysis type problems on my own!
I guess sometimes it's easier to work with dimensions than actual units? :smile:

What is the unit for electric charge in Coulomb's law?

The unit for electric charge in Coulomb's law is the Coulomb (C).

What is the unit for electric force in Coulomb's law?

The unit for electric force in Coulomb's law is the Newton (N).

How is the unit for electric charge related to the unit for electric force in Coulomb's law?

The unit for electric charge is related to the unit for electric force in Coulomb's law through the constant of proportionality, which is the permittivity of free space (ε0). This constant is measured in units of Farads per meter (F/m), and when multiplied by the unit for electric charge (C) and squared, it results in the unit for electric force (N).

Can Coulomb's law be used to calculate the electric force between two objects with different units for electric charge?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used to calculate the electric force between two objects with different units for electric charge. As long as the units are consistent, the equation will still hold true. However, it is important to note that using different units may result in a different numerical value for the electric force.

Why is it important to use consistent units when using Coulomb's law?

Using consistent units in Coulomb's law is important because it ensures that the equation is mathematically accurate and results in the correct numerical value for the electric force. It also allows for easier comparison and communication of results between scientists.