1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units for flux density

1. May 28, 2013 #1
    While I do understand the use for the displacement vector D = (e0)E + P, I don't quite understand why they label it as "flux density". The units for the displacement vector are C/m^2. The units for electric flux are Vm, so wouldn't electric flux density become Vm/m^2 = V/m which is just equal to the electric field?

edit: C/m^2 just looks like surface charge density...

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

For this reason, I hate the SI. It's totally unintuitive. Anyway, let's work through the dimensional analysis. According to Gauß's law, which reads in differential form
    [tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=\rho,[/tex]
    where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the charge density (i.e., charge per unit volume), which has the SI unit [itex]\mathrm{C}/\mathrm{m}^3[/itex] (Coulomb per cubic metre). The Nabla operator is a differential operator wrt. to space coordinates and thus has the unit [itex]1/\mathrm{m}[/itex].

This implies that [itex]\vec{D}[/itex] has the unit [itex]\mathrm{C}/\mathrm{m}^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook