Units for Precession Rate (Ω)?

lightlightsup
Homework Statement:
The precession rate is given as ##Ω = \frac{Mgr}{Iω}##.
Relevant Equations:
What are the units here?: I'm calculating it as ##\frac{1}{rad . s}##.
The precession rate is given as ##Ω = \frac{Mgr}{Iω}##.
What are the units here?: I'm calculating it as ##\frac{1}{rad . s}##.
Am I supposed to interpret this as revolutions per second, sort of like frequency, and ignore the ##rad##?
Also, period is calculated as: ##T = \frac{2π}{Ω}##. So, ##T##'s units are ##\frac{s}{rev}##?
I'm guessing that I don't quite understand yet how ##rads## are ignored in the calculations.
Edit: This refers to gyroscopic precession wherein gravity is the only force causing a torque.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Homework Statement: The precession rate is given as ##Ω = \frac{Mgr}{Iω}##.
Homework Equations: What are the units here?: I'm calculating it as ##\frac{1}{rad . s}##.
I get 1/s, which would be the same as the units for ω...

EDIT -- can you show the units you have for the first equation, and what you cancel to get your result?

lightlightsup

We're ignoring ##rads##, I guess? Because they are considered "dimensionless" ratios?

lightlightsup

EDIT -- can you show the units you have for the first equation, and what you cancel to get your result?

##Ω =\frac{Mgr}{Iω} = \frac{kg . \frac{m}{s^2} . m}{kg.m^2.\frac{rads}{s}} = \frac{1}{rad.s} ##
##T = \frac{2π}{Ω} = \frac{\frac{2π}{rad}}{\frac{1}{rad.s}} = s##

I'm sure there is some hole in my logic here somewhere.

berkeman
Mentor
Since radians are dimensionless, don't carry them along as units. In that case, you get the correct units for Omega, IMO.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
##Ω =\frac{Mgr}{Iω} = \frac{kg . \frac{m}{s^2} . m}{kg.m^2.\frac{rads}{s}} = \frac{1}{rad.s} ##
##T = \frac{2π}{Ω} = \frac{\frac{2π}{rad}}{\frac{1}{rad.s}} = s##

I'm sure there is some hole in my logic here somewhere.
Over the years there have been numerous attempts to assign a dimension to angles. You can find mine at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/can-angles-assigned-dimension/
In respect of this thread, the interesting feature is that if we write the dimensionality as Θ then Θ2=1. So 1/rads is the same as rads.

Suggested for: Units for Precession Rate (Ω)?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies