Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units for susceptibility Xm

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1
    i think magnetic susceptibility xm=M/H is contant and independent of the units we are working with.

in different refferences, they sometimes quote mks or cgs units which gives different value of Xm. It confuses me. Is Xm units dependent?

for example Xm for oxygen is about 10^-4 in cgs units but 10^-8n in mks units. i get very confused. :yuck:

please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    The values mean the same. They just differ by constants. Convert the value from one unit system to another and you'll see that.
  4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    You are not the first, neither you will be the last. The problem is that magnetization and magnetic field may be measured in different units. The relation between magnetization, magnetic field strength, and magnetic field is also different in SI and Gauss system. Moreover, there are two versions of gauss system for electromagnetic units!

Gauss system
    [tex]B=H+4\pi M[/tex]
    [tex]c^2 B=H+4\pi M[/tex]

[tex]B=\mu_0 (H+M)[/tex]
  5. Sep 19, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're hardly alone. :smile:

The cgs unit is emu/cc-Oe, the SI unit is A/m-T. The conversion factor, however, should only be [itex]4 \pi [/itex].

Can you provide your source ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?