Solving Watts Units: V/m From H/m, m/s, W/m^2

In summary, the book states that the unit of power is watts, the unit of inductance is Henrys, and the unit of time is seconds.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Help with units
The book gives the following forumla
[tex]E_0 = \sqrt {2\mu _0 c\left\langle S \right\rangle } [/tex]

And when it uses it in an example, the units go from:
[tex]\sqrt {\left( {{\rm{H/m}}} \right)\left( {{\rm{m/s}}} \right)\left( {{\rm{W/m}}^{\rm{2}} } \right)} [/tex]
to [tex]V/m[/tex], with no intermediate steps. My two efforts fall short:

Attempt #1
[tex]\sqrt {\left( {{\rm{H/m}}} \right)\left( {{\rm{m/s}}} \right)\left( {{\rm{W/m}}^{\rm{2}} } \right)} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{HmW}}}}{{{\rm{msmm}}}}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{HW}}}}{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s}}}}} [/tex]
Does a Henry - Watt divided by a second equal a Volt squared? If so, = V/m

Attempt #2 using N/A^2 instead of H/m for units of mu0
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\sqrt {\left( {{\rm{N/A}}^{\rm{2}} } \right)\left( {{\rm{/s}}} \right)\left( {{\rm{W/}}{\rm{m}}} \right)} = \\
\\
\sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{NW}}}}{{{\rm{A}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s}} \cdot {\rm{m}}}}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kgmJ}}}}{{{\rm{A}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s}} \cdot {\rm{ms}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s}}}}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kg - m - kg - m - m}}}}{{\left( {\frac{{\rm{C}}}{{\rm{s}}}} \right)^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s - m - s}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s - s}}^{\rm{2}} }}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kg - m - kg - m - }}{\rm{ - }}}}{{{\rm{C}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s - }}{\rm{ - s}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{ - s - }}}}} \\
\\
= \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kg - m - kg - m}}}}{{{\rm{C}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s - s}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{ - s}}}}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kg - m - kg - m}}}}{{\left( {{\rm{FV}}} \right)^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s - s}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{ - s}}}}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kg - m - kg - m}}}}{{{\rm{F}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{V}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{ - s - s}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{ - s}}}}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{NW}}}}{{{\rm{A}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s - m}}}}} = \sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kg - }}{\rm{ - mJ}}}}{{{\rm{A}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s}}{\rm{ - s - s}}^{\rm{2}} }}} = \\
\\
\sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{kg - mJ}}}}{{{\rm{A}}^{\rm{2}} {\rm{s - s - s}}^{\rm{2}} }}} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

This is not beginning to resemble [tex]\sqrt {\frac{{{\rm{V}}^{\rm{2}} }}{{{\rm{m}}^2 }}} [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Henries have the same units as do volt-seconds/ampere. Watts are of course volt-amperes. Thus (H/m)·(m/s)·(W/m2) is equivalent to (V·s)/(A·m)·(m/s)·(V·A/m2) = (V/A)·(V·A/m2) = (V/m)2

An equation that may come in handy:

L*dI/dt = V.

Since we're doing a dimensional analysis, we can ignore the (dimensionless) d's"

LI/t = V.

Multiplying both sides by V, LIV/t = V^2.

Power = P = IV, so substituting this in we get LP/t = V^2.

The unit of L is H (inductance is measured in Henrys), the unit of P is W (power is measured in watts) and the unit of t is s, so it is indeed true that a volt squared = henry times a watt (or a henry-watt) divided by a second.

Thanks, DH and Joeyar. I doubt I was required to justify this step since the book doesn't, but I just had to know :)

1. What are Watts units and how are they related to V/m, H/m, m/s, and W/m^2?

Watts (W) is a unit of power, which measures the rate at which energy is transferred. V/m (volts per meter) and H/m (henries per meter) are units of electric and magnetic field strength, respectively. m/s (meters per second) is a unit of speed, and W/m^2 (watts per square meter) is a unit of power density. These units are all related through the fundamental equation P = E x H, where P is power, E is electric field strength, and H is magnetic field strength.

2. How do I convert from H/m to V/m?

To convert from H/m to V/m, you need to know the magnetic permeability of the material in question. This value can be found in reference tables or by using a calculator. Once you have the magnetic permeability, simply multiply the value in H/m by the magnetic permeability to obtain the value in V/m.

3. Can I solve for V/m if I know the values for H/m, m/s, and W/m^2?

Yes, you can solve for V/m using the equation P = E x H. If you know the values for H/m, m/s, and W/m^2, you can rearrange the equation to solve for E (electric field strength), which is measured in V/m.

4. What is the significance of solving for V/m from H/m, m/s, and W/m^2?

Solving for V/m from these units allows you to determine the electric field strength at a specific point in space. This information is important for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and for designing and optimizing electrical systems and devices.

5. Are there any other units that are commonly used in conjunction with V/m to measure electric field strength?

Yes, other units that are commonly used to measure electric field strength include N/C (newtons per coulomb) and C/m^2 (coulombs per square meter). These units can also be converted to V/m using appropriate conversion factors.