1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units in a matrix ring

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]R[/itex] be a commutative ring with [itex]1[/itex]. What are the units of [itex]M_n(R)[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

If [itex]R[/itex] is a field, then I know that we can characterize the units as those matrices with non-zero determinant (since those are the invertible matrices). But since [itex]R[/itex] is not even an integral domain necessarily, I could use some help. Is there any nice way to characterize the units?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about an integer matrix M. If det(M)=1 or -1 then its inverse is an integer matrix. Can you show that? Now suppose |det(M)| is not 1. Can you show that the inverse isn't an integer matrix?

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3

jgens

Gold Member

If we take [itex]R=\mathbb{Z}[/itex], then it is pretty easy to show that any matrix [itex](a_{ij}) \in M_n(R)[/itex] has an inverse if and only if [itex]\det(a_{ij})=\pm 1[/itex]. But the integers have a good deal more structure than a general commutative ring with 1. The determinant condition here is also different than the one for fields.

But then maybe the condition is: [itex](a_{ij}) \in M_n(R)[/itex] is a unit if and only if [itex]\det(a_{ij})=x[/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] is a unit in [itex]R[/itex]. I have not checked to see if this is actually true, but is a condition like this what you were getting at?

5. Jan 16, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is. Satisfy yourself that the properties of det over a general ring aren't that different from over the integers.

6. Jan 16, 2012 #5

jgens

Gold Member

Sweet! Thank you for the help! I think I can figure the rest out from here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook