1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units in Angular Velocity

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I am doing a mechanisms homework assignment in which a hydraulic piston moves out and moves a link connected to the piston in an angular fashion. I'm just a bit confused about the units of angular velocity and I feel very foolish asking this.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\omega \times r = v[/tex]
    [tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] v=0.751751\frac{m}{s} [/tex]
    [tex] r=0.6 m [/tex]
    [tex] \omega=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{0.751751 \frac{m}{s}}{0.6 m} = 1.25 \frac{rad}{s} [/tex]

Can someone just double check that the units are indeed radians per second? SI units for angular velocity is rad/s.. and this is SI. Just want to double check that it's not rev per second. I know, it's foolish. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's radians/sec. rev/sec differs by a factor of 2pi. To convince yourself, if v=1m/sec and r=1m and the motion is circular then v/r=1/sec but it would take you 2pi seconds to get around the whole circle and make a rev.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted