What are the units for angular velocity in this hydraulic piston mechanism?

In summary: So in summary, the units for angular velocity are indeed radians per second and not revolutions per second.
fluidmech

Homework Statement

Hello, I am doing a mechanisms homework assignment in which a hydraulic piston moves out and moves a link connected to the piston in an angular fashion. I'm just a bit confused about the units of angular velocity and I feel very foolish asking this.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega \times r = v[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] v=0.751751\frac{m}{s} [/tex]
[tex] r=0.6 m [/tex]
[tex] \omega=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{0.751751 \frac{m}{s}}{0.6 m} = 1.25 \frac{rad}{s} [/tex]

Can someone just double check that the units are indeed radians per second? SI units for angular velocity is rad/s.. and this is SI. Just want to double check that it's not rev per second. I know, it's foolish. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidmech said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I am doing a mechanisms homework assignment in which a hydraulic piston moves out and moves a link connected to the piston in an angular fashion. I'm just a bit confused about the units of angular velocity and I feel very foolish asking this.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega \times r = v[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] v=0.751751\frac{m}{s} [/tex]
[tex] r=0.6 m [/tex]
[tex] \omega=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{0.751751 \frac{m}{s}}{0.6 m} = 1.25 \frac{rad}{s} [/tex]

Can someone just double check that the units are indeed radians per second? SI units for angular velocity is rad/s.. and this is SI. Just want to double check that it's not rev per second. I know, it's foolish. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it's radians/sec. rev/sec differs by a factor of 2pi. To convince yourself, if v=1m/sec and r=1m and the motion is circular then v/r=1/sec but it would take you 2pi seconds to get around the whole circle and make a rev.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a central point, measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. What are the units used to measure Angular Velocity?

The units used to measure angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s), revolutions per minute (RPM), and degrees per second (deg/s).

3. How is Angular Velocity different from Linear Velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rotational speed of an object, while linear velocity measures the speed of an object in a straight line.

4. How do you calculate Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What are some real-life examples of Angular Velocity?

Some real-life examples of angular velocity include the rotation of a wheel, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a Ferris wheel. It is also used in sports, such as the spinning of a ball in basketball or the rotation of a figure skater.