Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Units involving metres

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    Hi. Stress is measured on Pascals. It's force divided by area. Area of course is m x m. So when stress is given it's in units of MN / m2 or MN m-2.

Okay. I'm looking at something called the Hall Petch equation. There a constant in it labelled k.

In an example, k is given as 0.45 MN m-3/2

Does this make any sense or is there an error with the description of k?

I mean, what is m-3/2? Thanks.

P.S. Possible that there is an error in the text. And that k is MN m1/2. However, if it is, I still don't know what m is as a unit. In other words I know m2 is - square meters.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The Hall-Petch equation asserts a relation of the form [tex]
    (\mathrm{stress}) = \frac{(\mathrm{coefficient})}{(\mathrm{length})^x}[/tex] or [tex]
    (\mathrm{coefficient}) = (\mathrm{stress})(\mathrm{length})^x.[/tex] It follows that in SI units the coefficient is measured in units of [itex]\mathrm{Pa}\,\mathrm{m}^x[/itex] or [itex]\mathrm{N}\,\mathrm{m}^{x-2}[/itex]. [itex]x[/itex] need not be an integer.

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In fracture mechanics, the stress intensity factor for different types of flaws is expressed in units of MPa-m1/2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracture_mechanics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted