Expressing Angular Momentum in Units

In summary, the units of angular velocity, ω, is expressed in rad/a. Therefore, the units of angular momentum, L, can be expressed as Kgm^2*rad/s or N*m*s. The radian unit can be left out if desired as it is a ratio of arc length to radius. The formula for kinetic energy, E, can be calculated using the formula E=1/2 I*ω^2, where I=1/2MR^2. This calculation is suitable.
KiNGGeexD
If the units of angular velocity, ω, is expressed in rad/a what then is the units of angular momentum?

L=Iω

From this I can gather that the units are

Kgm^2*rad/s

Is this a suitable way to express angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you can express it as such. You can similarly express it N*m*s. You can sort of leave out the radian unit if you wish as that is basically a ratio of arc length to radius.

So if from that I calculated Kinetic energy using

E=1/2 I*ω^2

Where I=1/2MR^2

KiNGGeexD said:
So if from that I calculated Kinetic energy using

E=1/2 I*ω^2

Where I=1/2MR^2
Yes.

:) ok thanks

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical property that describes an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant rate. It is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object possesses.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates).

3. What are the units of angular momentum?

The units of angular momentum depend on the system of measurement being used. In the SI system, the units of angular momentum are kilogram meters squared per second (kg * m^2/s). In the CGS system, the units are gram centimeters squared per second (g * cm^2/s).

4. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some real-life examples of angular momentum include a spinning top, a rotating planet, and a car making a turn. In all of these cases, there is a combination of angular velocity and moment of inertia that determines the object's angular momentum.

5. How is angular momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if no external torque is applied. This means that if one part of a system gains angular momentum, another part must lose an equal amount in order to maintain the overall balance.