1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units of electricity used

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    How can I work out how many units of electricty are consumed in problems such as the following?

During one day, a 2.5 kW appliance was used for 8 hours. How many Units of electricity were used?

I know that the answer is 20 but I have no idea how that figure is arrived at. Also, in what unit is the electricity measured. What exactly does "20 units of electricy" mean?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

kW is a measure of power = the rate of energy used (kW = 1000J/s)
    Electricity is sold in units of kWh = one kilowatt for one hour ( = 1000J/s * 3600s = 3,600,000J )
    So a 2.5 kW appliance used for 8 hours = 2.5kW * 8h = 20kWh

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    So a 2.5 kW appliance means an appliance that consumes 2.5kW of energy if it runs for 1hour, is that right? Sorry, I'm a real beginner!

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite, 2.5kW is a unit of power, it is using 2.5 kJ (2500J) of energy per second.
    So after one hour it has used = 2500 J/s * 3600s = 9MJ = 2.5kWh of electricity.

It's a bit strange using power (which is energy/time) multiplied by time to get back to energy - but Joules gives large numbers and kW and hours are more convenient for everday use it's easier.

It's a bit like if we measured distance by having a unit of car speed (mph) and instead of saying it was 30miles to town we said it was 30mph-hours. So after one hour at 30mph you have gone 30 miles.

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    Thanks a lot for that! It's a lot clearer now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook