Proving Uniqueness of Products in Finite Rings

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that for all units a in a finite ring R, a^q = 1, where q is the number of units in R. The person asking the question is trying to solve it without using group theory or Lagrange's theorem. They make progress but are stuck on proving the uniqueness of the products in the set T. The expert suggests using Lagrange's theorem to prove the desired result.
mooshasta

Homework Statement

Let q be the number of units in finite ring R. Show that for all a in R, if a is a unit in R then [tex]a^q = 1[/tex].

Is there a way to solve this without using group theory? All I can seem to find information on is when a and m are relatively prime then [tex]a^{\phi (m)} = 1 (mod \, m)[/tex], which I'd like to prove using the problem I can't solve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really haven't been able to get anywhere on this. Are there certain patterns that finite rings always follow, that I can exploit?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If q is the number of invertibles in the ring R, then it means that the order of V is q. Where V would be the group of invertibles in that ring. That is we know that V( the set of all invertibles in a ring is a group in itself). Now it is clear that if a is invertible(unit) then it belongs to V. So, by lagrange theorem we have the desired result that a^q=1. where 1 is the unity of the ring R.

Thank you for your help.

I'm trying to solve this without using groups or Lagrange's theorem (we didn't learn any of that in class).

I made progress but I still am a little hung up at one (probably extremely trivial) detail.

Let S be the set of units {x_1,...,x_n} and let a be a unit of the ring. T = {ax_1,...,ax_n} are all different and therefore T = S, which implies the products (call it z) are the same. a^n*z = z implies a^n = 1.

I am not sure how to prove that all members of T = {ax_1,...,ax_n} are all unique, although I think it's pretty intuitive..

1. What are units in a finite ring?

Units in a finite ring are elements that have a multiplicative inverse, meaning that when multiplied by another element, they produce the identity element of the ring. In other words, the product of a unit and its inverse is equal to 1.

2. How are units different from elements in a finite ring?

While all units are elements in a finite ring, not all elements are units. Units have a multiplicative inverse, while elements may not. Additionally, units are required to be non-zero, while elements do not have this requirement.

3. How many units can a finite ring have?

The number of units in a finite ring depends on the ring's order. In general, a finite ring of order n can have anywhere from 0 to n-1 units.

4. Can a finite ring have no units?

Yes, it is possible for a finite ring to have no units. This occurs when the ring's order is a prime number, as prime numbers only have two factors (1 and itself), meaning that every element in the ring is either a unit or the additive identity element.

5. How are units used in finite rings?

Units play an important role in many operations and concepts in finite rings. They are used in determining the ring's structure, solving equations, and finding inverses of elements. In addition, the number of units in a finite ring can provide insight into its properties, such as whether it is a field or not.