1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units of Force Constant

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A molecule is a harmonic oscillator, and has a fundamental frequency of 1000 cm−1 and a reduced mass of 10.0 amu. From this, determine the magnitude of the force constant, and express it in units of aJ ˚A−2 (atto joules per angstrom).

2. Relevant equations
    ω=√(k/mr)

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is about the requested units. Force constants of harmonic oscillators are given as force*distance, no? So the request for the units in energy/distance2 doesn't make sense. Further, using the relevant equation given I end up with amu/cm2, or mass/distance2. I suppose wavenumbers can be counted as energy as well. Even then, you'd end up with J^2*amu or J*amu/cm. The problem, then, is the remaining mass. I'm fairly certain I'm misunderstanding something in this, however. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Apologies for having to move my thread. This is this first part of a multistep quantum mechanical problem. I guess this part is technically more introductory.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. The force constant is ##k## as in ##F=-kx## in Hooke's law.

4. May 9, 2015 #3
    Sorry, I meant force/distance. My question still stands.

5. May 9, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Energy has units of force times distance, so…

6. May 9, 2015 #5
    I know but the problem is the units of this problem itself. I need the units to be in energy/distance^2 which is proper but the output of the equation includes mass and energy (amu and wavenumbers^2) which, from what I can tell, can't be converted to any form of a force constant, which is why I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Pulling apart the given equation, it tells us that k = ω2mr. Omega is in wave numbers which is an energy unit, and mr is a reduced mass in units of amu. So E2* mass (from the equation) should be equal to energy/distance2 (from the requested unit in the problem). This is clearly not true, unless Energy is equal to inverse distance2 times mass.

7. May 9, 2015 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry, I didn't notice the non-standard units for the frequency. That seems like a typo, where it should say the units are s-1, or you're supposed to follow some sort of convention like mapping wave numbers to frequency via a relation like ##c = \omega k##.

8. May 9, 2015 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

9. May 9, 2015 #8
    So, in other words, your suggestion is multiplying wavenumbers by the speed of light, which will result in a normal frequency (s-1). Even if this is done, I end up with mass/s2 which is... force/distance I guess, which is correct.

Ok, cool. Thanks.

10. May 10, 2015 #9
    Hmm, one more question. The final answer I get is in units of kg/s2. It's true that, when the distances are cancelled in the final unit requested in the problem, that these units are correct. How do I apply these distances to the number? For instance, let's say I got 1 kg/s2. Can I just multiply it by 1 meter2 for sake of unit conversion to get to joule, and divide 10-20 for the angstrom part?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted