Calculating Force Constant for a Harmonic Oscillator: Units and Conversions

In summary, the given molecule is a harmonic oscillator with a fundamental frequency of 1000 cm-1 and a reduced mass of 10.0 amu. To determine the force constant, we use the equation ω=√(k/mr) and manipulate it to find k=ω2mr. However, the units in the problem request the force constant to be expressed in energy/distance2, which is not a standard unit. This may be a typo, and the correct unit should be s-1. Alternatively, we can use the relationship c=ωk to convert the units from cm-1 to Hz. This results in a force constant with units of kg/s2, which can be converted to joules
Lamebert

Homework Statement

A molecule is a harmonic oscillator, and has a fundamental frequency of 1000 cm−1 and a reduced mass of 10.0 amu. From this, determine the magnitude of the force constant, and express it in units of aJ ˚A−2 (atto joules per angstrom).

Homework Equations

ω=√(k/mr)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the requested units. Force constants of harmonic oscillators are given as force*distance, no? So the request for the units in energy/distance2 doesn't make sense. Further, using the relevant equation given I end up with amu/cm2, or mass/distance2. I suppose wavenumbers can be counted as energy as well. Even then, you'd end up with J^2*amu or J*amu/cm. The problem, then, is the remaining mass. I'm fairly certain I'm misunderstanding something in this, however. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Apologies for having to move my thread. This is this first part of a multistep quantum mechanical problem. I guess this part is technically more introductory.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. The force constant is ##k## as in ##F=-kx## in Hooke's law.

vela said:
No. The force constant is ##k## as in ##F=-kx## in Hooke's law.
Sorry, I meant force/distance. My question still stands.

Energy has units of force times distance, so…

vela said:
Energy has units of force times distance, so…

I know but the problem is the units of this problem itself. I need the units to be in energy/distance^2 which is proper but the output of the equation includes mass and energy (amu and wavenumbers^2) which, from what I can tell, can't be converted to any form of a force constant, which is why I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Pulling apart the given equation, it tells us that k = ω2mr. Omega is in wave numbers which is an energy unit, and mr is a reduced mass in units of amu. So E2* mass (from the equation) should be equal to energy/distance2 (from the requested unit in the problem). This is clearly not true, unless Energy is equal to inverse distance2 times mass.

Sorry, I didn't notice the non-standard units for the frequency. That seems like a typo, where it should say the units are s-1, or you're supposed to follow some sort of convention like mapping wave numbers to frequency via a relation like ##c = \omega k##.

vela said:
From reading http://quantum.bu.edu/notes/QuantumMechanics/HarmonicOscillator.pdf, I gather 1000 cm-1 refers to the reciprocal wavelength ##\tilde{\nu} = 1/\lambda = \nu/c##, where ##\nu## is the frequency in Hz and ##c## is the speed of light.

So, in other words, your suggestion is multiplying wavenumbers by the speed of light, which will result in a normal frequency (s-1). Even if this is done, I end up with mass/s2 which is... force/distance I guess, which is correct.

Ok, cool. Thanks.

vela said:
From reading http://quantum.bu.edu/notes/QuantumMechanics/HarmonicOscillator.pdf, I gather 1000 cm-1 refers to the reciprocal wavelength ##\tilde{\nu} = 1/\lambda = \nu/c##, where ##\nu## is the frequency in Hz and ##c## is the speed of light.
Hmm, one more question. The final answer I get is in units of kg/s2. It's true that, when the distances are canceled in the final unit requested in the problem, that these units are correct. How do I apply these distances to the number? For instance, let's say I got 1 kg/s2. Can I just multiply it by 1 meter2 for sake of unit conversion to get to joule, and divide 10-20 for the angstrom part?

What are "Units of Force Constant"?

"Units of Force Constant" refer to the units used to measure the strength of a chemical bond or the stiffness of a material. It is commonly denoted by the symbol k and is expressed in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m) or pounds per inch (lb/in).

Why are units of force constant important in science?

Units of force constant are important because they provide a quantitative measure of the strength of a chemical bond or the stiffness of a material. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of various substances, and it allows scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations in their research.

What is the relationship between units of force constant and bond strength?

The units of force constant are directly proportional to the strength of a chemical bond. This means that a higher force constant value indicates a stronger bond, while a lower force constant value indicates a weaker bond.

How are units of force constant determined experimentally?

Units of force constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a material or molecule by a certain distance. This data can then be used to calculate the force constant using the formula k = F/x, where F is the applied force and x is the displacement.

Can units of force constant be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, units of force constant can be converted to other units of measurement using conversion factors. For example, if the force constant is given in newtons per meter (N/m), it can be converted to pounds per inch (lb/in) by multiplying by the conversion factor of 5.7101484 x 10^5.