Units of Fourier Transform?

In summary, the units of the vertical axis in a Fourier transform of a signal S(t) are volts multiplied by seconds. This is consistent with Parseval's theorem, which shows that the units of the squared magnitude of the transform are proportional to power per Hertz. The transform result itself is imaginary and has no physical units.
daviddoria
If i have a signal S(t) (the plot would be voltage vs time) and I take its Fourier transform, what are the units of the vertical axis? The horizontal axis can either be frequency in hertz or in radians, but what about the other axis? I guess generally I plot the magnitude of the transform since its not always real, but it should still have a unit, no?

Thanks,

David

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an interesting question. I use Fourier transforms all the time, but never stopped to think about that. If you look at the definition of the Fourier transform:
[tex]X(\omega )=\int_{-\infty }^{\infty } e^{-i t \omega } x(t) \, dt[/tex]
then you see that [tex]e^{-i t \omega }[/tex] is unitless and [tex]dt[/tex] has units of time, so it would seem that if [tex]x(t)[/tex] has units of volts then [tex]X(\omega )[/tex] must have units of volt seconds.

This is consistent with Parseval's theorem [tex]\int_{-\infty }^{\infty } |x(t)|^2 \, dt=\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }
|X(\omega )|^2 \, d\omega[/tex] where each side would wind up with units of volt^2 seconds.

Last edited:
Is Volt*seconds somehow equal to energy? Non-technically speaking, the Fourier transform shows you the "strength" (energy or power or something else?) at each frequency, right? So then the units should be related to energy in a very straight forward way. I've just never seen Volt*seconds before.

Thoughts?

David

If you take the squared modulus of the Fourier transform result, you get power per Hertz. The transform result itself is imaginary, and thus has no physical units.

- Warren

Last edited:
Power in a resistive circuit is volt^2/ohm so you cannot take the units too literally for energy. But as chroot said a volt^2 second is proportional to a volt^2/Hertz. So the squared magnitude of the transform is proportional to power/Hertz.

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical technique used to decompose a signal or function into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing, data analysis, and image processing.

What are the units of the Fourier Transform?

The units of the Fourier Transform depend on the units of the input signal or function. Generally, the units for the Fourier Transform are inverse of the units of the input signal. For example, if the input signal is in seconds, the units of the Fourier Transform will be in Hertz (Hz).

What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain. In other words, the Fourier Transform decomposes a signal into its individual frequency components, while the Inverse Fourier Transform combines these components back into the original signal.

What is the significance of the units of the Fourier Transform?

The units of the Fourier Transform are important for understanding the frequency content of a signal or function. By analyzing the units, we can determine the dominant frequencies present in the signal and how they contribute to the overall function.

What are some real-world applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many practical applications, including signal filtering, spectrum analysis, and image compression. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics for data analysis and modeling.