Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units of radial wavefunction

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    I am solving the Hydrogen wavefunction using FORTRAN.
    Now using the Euler method, I am given a solution to match which is given by u10(r) = 1.06r*exp(-3.74r) (where unl(r) = rRnl(r) in general) which says it has a normalisation chosen to match what i should get from my code.

Then I use the backwards Euler method getting a more accurate solution with a correct shape and a much larger amplitude. I then normalise this and plot it against the analytic solution given by
    u = 1/pi^1/2*(1/ao)^3/2*r*exp(-r/a0) which is apparently also normalised.

I am working in natural units so h-bar = c = 1 and me = 511.7keV the electron mass, which implies that my Bohr radius = 0.26737keV^-1 and I am working in units of r given by keV^-1 also.

so this would imply that the units of u for the analytic solution must be keV^(1/2) however looking at the original equation shouldn't the units be keV^-1 as u = rR(r) where r has units keV^-1 and R(r) is dimensionless, I'm confused. Is my normalisation unit calculated in fortran supposed to have units like the analytic normalisation constant?

On my graphs should I just put no units? :S
    Any suggestions would be appreciated, units of wavefunctions has always confused me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted