Units of Solid Angle: SI, Metric & Imperial Systems

In summary, the solid angle is a dimensionless quantity that is assigned the SI unit of steradian. However, alternative units for solid angle include square degree and fractional area. These units are used to distinguish solid angle from other dimensionless quantities.
manjuvenamma

Homework Statement

What are the units of solid angle in other systems ( In SI, it is steradian)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The solid angle is technically dimensionless, i.e. it has no real units. It is simply 'assigned' the SI unit of 'steradian' to distinguish it from other dimensionless quantities, such as constants etc.

Therefore, the solid angle has no alternative units other than SI.

The first thing I did was use good old "Google" which sent me to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle
where I learned that the corresponding units are "square degree" and "fractional area" (what fraction of a circle does it subtend?).

I agree with Hootenanny that a solid angle (like any angle) is dimensionless but it appears there are other "assigned" units.

HallsofIvy said:
The first thing I did was use good old "Google" which sent me to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle
where I learned that the corresponding units are "square degree" and "fractional area" (what fraction of a circle does it subtend?).
I wasn't aware that there were other 'assigned' units for the Solid Angle, I guess I should google more often! Thanks Halls!

What is a solid angle?

A solid angle is a measure of the amount of space covered by a three-dimensional shape when viewed from a specific point. It is measured in steradians (sr) and represents the portion of a sphere that is enclosed by the shape.

What is the SI unit for solid angle?

The SI unit for solid angle is the steradian (sr). One steradian is equal to the solid angle subtended by a surface at the center of a sphere with an area of one square meter.

What is the metric system's unit for solid angle?

In the metric system, the unit for solid angle is also the steradian (sr). This is consistent with the SI unit.

What is the Imperial system's unit for solid angle?

In the Imperial system, the unit for solid angle is the square degree (deg2). One square degree is equal to the solid angle subtended by a surface at the center of a sphere with an area of one square degree.

How do you convert between units of solid angle?

To convert between units of solid angle, you can use the following conversion factors:

• 1 sr = 1 square meter / (radius of sphere)2
  • 1 deg2 = (pi / 180) sr

Alternatively, you can use online unit converters or conversion formulas specific to the unit you are trying to convert to.