Units of Wave Function: Joules or Vary?

In summary: the equation for the identity operator still holds, but now the normalization condition has been replaced by the condition that the basis vectors be orthogonal.
qsefthuko66
Do the units of a wave function vary? i have heard that it just joules. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
i have also heard that the units are (length)-dN/2, where N is the number of particles in the system and d is the dimensionality of space. Is this true?

The units of the wave function are whatever they need to be to make the norm of the wave function equal to 1 (and 1 is dimensionless).

If ##|\psi|^2 ## is a probabilty and thus dimensionless, how can $\psi$ have units? Who have you "heard" this nonsense from?

MonkeyDonkey said:
If ##|\psi|^2 ## is a probabilty and thus dimensionless, how can $\psi$ have units? Who have you "heard" this nonsense from?

Aha, but it's NOT a probability. It's a probability density, and thus indeed dimensionfull. But, as stated before, the dimension is simply "what it needs to be".

For a one-dimensional system, this is how you calculate a probability, which is unitless:

$$P = \int_a^b {|\psi|^2 dx}$$

Given that dx is a length, what units must ψ have?

Repeat for a three-dimensional system.

It's not entirely correct to say that the wavefunction requires certain units for the probability to work out. In fact, wavefunctions are quite agnostic about the units/dimensions used. This is because the state space is really a projective space, containing the C-rays and not C-vectors.

This is not obvious because we are used to the normalization convention, that is we make sure the norm of a state is equal to 1 whenever we construct or derive it. Unitary operators preserve that norm and it is generally quite simple to calculate probabilities from a given state.

However, this is just a convention, and if you really spell out the expression for probabilities in the projective space you rather get something like

[itex]P = \frac{\int_S |\psi(r)|^2 dr}{\int_R |\psi(r)|^2 dr} [/itex]

where [itex]S \subseteq R[/itex]. Any choice of units for [itex]\psi[/itex] can be seen to cancel in this fraction, just like any other factor. The denominator is only absorbed in the normalization convention inside the wavefunction. But the original state description in the projective space does not require the concept of dimensions and can therefore be chosen to be just dimensionless, independently of the dimension of the expansion parameter [itex]r[/itex].

Cheers,

Jazz

I think Jazzdude is right--nonnormalized vectors are allowed in the Hilbert space, so you are required to use his definition of P, and thus units don't matter.

One basic example that nobody mentioned is that you can actually pick the basis of Hilbert space with which to express your wavefunction. So instead of ψ(x), which according to some above posts should have units of 1/√length, you could equivalently express it in momentum space, so for a normalized momentum space wavefunction you'd have
1=∫|ψ(k)|2 dk, so its units would actually be √length in this basis [k here is wavenumber]. But this only follows from the normalization convention, which is optional, and Jazzdude's answer is the more rigorous one.

At the introductory level which I assume the OP is at unless he clarifies this, one usually assumes that wavefunctions are normalized when calculating probabilities. At that level, one doesn't usually talk about Hilbert spaces, projective spaces, etc., either.

At least, in the US.

Jazzdude said:
[itex]P = \frac{\int_S |\psi(r)|^2 dr}{\int_R |\psi(r)|^2 dr} [/itex]

where [itex]S \subseteq R[/itex]. Any choice of units for [itex]\psi[/itex] can be seen to cancel in this fraction, just like any other factor. The denominator is only absorbed in the normalization convention inside the wavefunction.
Ok how do you, then, explain the overlap between two wavefunctions?(which should be dimensionless)
Edit:
Consider the equation
[tex]\int |x\rangle\langle x| dx = \mathbb{1} [/tex]
Now [itex]\varPsi (x)=\langle x|\Psi\rangle[/itex]

Last edited:
Ravi Mohan said:
Ok how do you, then, explain the overlap between two wavefunctions?(which should be dimensionless)
Edit:
Consider the equation
Now [itex]\varPsi (x)=\langle x|\Psi\rangle[/itex]

I don't think there's any issue here. The dimensions would work out just fine, wouldn't they? Is your problem with Jazzdude's probability formula, rather than using the normalization convention? Let's look at the expression you've written down for the identity operator:
I believe that this equation requires the basis kets |x> to be normalized. Here's a demonstration of that fact:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Assume your equation for the identity operator is true:
We can plug this equation into itself:
[tex]\mathbb{1}=\int \int |x\rangle\langle x|x'\rangle\langle x'| dx dx' = \int \int |x\rangle\langle x'| \left(\langle x|x'\rangle \right) dx dx' [/tex]
Now recall the usual representation of position basis kets: [If this is confusing, see Griffiths Intro to QM, 2nd ed., p 105]
<x|x'> = δ(x-x')
This would reflect our usual convention of orthonormality. But if we relax normality and only preserve orthogonality, we have
<x|x'>=cδ(x-x')
for some complex number c. Plugging this into the big equation above yields:
[tex]\mathbb{1} = \int \int |x\rangle\langle x'| c\delta(x-x') dx dx' = c\int |x\rangle\langle x| dx [/tex]
Hence c must be 1 for the identity operator equation to be true.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Actually I think there might be a mistake in my proof since I was expecting c to be a unit complex number... can anyone help me to see if I have a problem here?

Last edited:
The units matter in Perturbative QFT. For a wave-function in 'ordinary' QM they are barely useful.

1. What are units of wave function?

The units of wave function are a measurement of the amplitude of a wave. They represent the strength or intensity of the wave at a particular point in space.

2. Are the units of wave function always measured in Joules?

No, the units of wave function can vary depending on the type of wave being measured. For example, electromagnetic waves are typically measured in units of energy, such as Joules, while sound waves are measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals.

3. How do I convert between different units of wave function?

To convert between different units of wave function, you will need to use conversion factors specific to the type of wave being measured. For example, to convert from Joules to Pascals, you would need to use the conversion factor for energy to pressure.

4. Can the units of wave function change over time?

Yes, the units of wave function can change over time depending on the properties of the wave and the medium it is traveling through. For example, the units of an electromagnetic wave may change as it passes through different materials with varying properties.

5. Why do the units of wave function vary?

The units of wave function vary because different types of waves have different physical properties and interact with matter in different ways. Therefore, the units used to measure them must also vary in order to accurately describe their behavior and effects.