1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units of wavenumber

1. Aug 15, 2014 #1
    Hi there, quick question about units.

I know wavenumber can be defined as 1/λ or 2π/λ, the latter sometimes being termed 'angular' wavenumber. Is there an agreed upon way of distinguishing between these two definitions when displaying units on, for example, a graph or paper?

I've seen units such as (m-1) which is ambiguous or (cpm) which I presume to mean cycles per metre and thus refer to angular version, but also (rad m-1).

Is there a standard that should be followed? Or is it a free for all?

Cheers,
    Jesse

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2014 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

It's a bit of a free for all. You can often tell by context, but sometimes it's quite confusing.

E.g., if waves are referred to as ##\cos kx,## then ##k = 2\pi / \lambda## (radians/m).

Using cpm (analogous to Hz = cps) whenever you mean cycles, not radians, is a good habit.

If you are working with both wave number and frequency, you definitely want to stick to the same convention for both.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. Aug 15, 2014 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think which one you like to use is probably dependent on the field you are working in. In physics, because we almost always express waves like ##\cos(kx)## or ##e^{ikx}##, we almost always use angular wave number, and ##1/\lambda## is very very rarely used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook