1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units problem

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I am calculating torque and power for a disk of radius 0.5 m that is subjected to a force of 50 N at its periphery and is rotating at angular velocity of 100 rad/s. Find torque and power.

2. Relevant equations

Torque= radius x Force = 0.5m *50N = 25Nm

Power= dW/dt= F*w(omega)= 25Nm * 100 rad/sec .... WHy the solutions book has an answer 2500 Nm/s. Why did they ignore the radians. I was thinking to convert the radians into meters or something like that. What am I not understanding here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Radians are a sort of "unitless" unit. They arise out of ratios of like units, such as the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its radius (with suitable unitless constants involved). So when they get mixed up with "real" units they have a tendency to disappear. So, rad*m = m, rad*kg = kg, and so on.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the response. It makes sense now. Will do further research on this to make sure I understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted