Understanding g mol in Unit Operations Course

• Thread starter conSCIous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the unit "g mol" is equivalent to "mol" and follows the convention of pairing "gram" with "mole". The book being used defines molarity as 1 (g mol)/Liter, which is a common unit in chemistry. The example given using sulphuric acid also shows how mole and gram can be interchanged with a little math.
conSCIous
I am currently taking a Unit Operations course. The book and the instructor both refer to a unit, g mol (gram mol). The book defines molarity as 1 (g mol)/Liter. I am familiar with molarity but always in the past it was defined as mol/Liter. I do not understand what this unit is supposed to be. Mass? mols? Can someone clear this up for me?

The text I am using is Transport Processes and Separation Process Principles, 4th edition, Christie Geankopolis.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
"gmol" --- "relative" molecular mass times grams; compare to the kgmol, lbmol, tonmol (English or metric --- going to be different). The chemists got here first, and a "mole" (mol) is understood to be a g-mol --- had chemists been raised in religious awe of the English units system, we might have a convention in which the unspecified "mol" would be understood to be the dram, scruple, poise, oz., grain, or some other irrational mass unit times molecular mass (weight).

To summarize (at the cost of sounding repetitive) : "g mol" is the same as "mol", as per accepted convention.

"Mol"is in perfect connection with "gram" and "Kilomol" with "Kilogram".Par éxample
18 grams of water =1 mol
18 Kilograms of water=1 Kilomol

Daniel.

Even though this isn't exactly related I think it might help you understand

[tex]C=\frac{n}{V}[/tex]

where C is the molar concentration in moles per liter (mol/L)
V is the volume in Liters
n is the number of moles of solute

I'm doing this type of stuff now, so here's and example:
1 mole of H2SO4 = 98 g
What is the volume of a solution whose concentration is 0.2 mol/L if it contains 49 grams of sulphuric acid.

So in looking for the volume you have
[tex]V=\frac{n}{C}[/tex]

but n must be in moles not grams so

[tex]\frac{1 \\ mole}{98 \\ g}=\frac{x \\ mole}{49 \\ g}[/tex]
Cross multiply and you get 0.5 mole is equal to 49 grams of sulphuric acid. (though its just haf and half :wink: )

Now when you use the formula you always want your units to cancel out and in this case be left with L.

[tex]V=\frac{0.5 \\ mol}{\frac{0.2 \\ mol}{L}}[/tex]

mol cancels and you're left with L.

[tex]V=\frac{0.5}{0.2}=2.5 Liters[/tex]

So mole and grams are interchangible just with a little math and sometimes not even, for example 39 grams of Potasium (atomic mass) is equal to 1 mol of atoms, and so on.
Maybe it helped.

1. What is g mol in unit operations course?

g mol, also known as gram mole, is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to express the amount of substance in a given sample. It is equal to the amount of substance that contains the same number of particles as there are atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12.

2. Why is g mol used in unit operations course?

In unit operations course, g mol is used as a standard unit of measurement to quantify the amount of substances involved in chemical reactions and processes. It allows for easier calculations and comparisons between different substances.

3. How is g mol calculated?

To calculate g mol, you need to know the molar mass of the substance in question, which is the mass of one mole of that substance. Then, you divide the given mass of the substance by its molar mass. The resulting value is the amount of substance in g mol.

4. Is g mol the same as grams?

No, g mol and grams are two different units of measurement. While grams measure the mass of a substance, g mol measures the amount of a substance. They are related, but not the same. For example, a sample of 1 g mol of water would weigh approximately 18 grams.

5. How is g mol used in unit operations course?

In unit operations course, g mol is used in various calculations such as determining the amount of reactants needed for a specific chemical reaction, calculating the yield of a reaction, and determining the concentration of a solution. It is an essential unit of measurement in understanding and performing chemical processes.