1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units question

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    If a coulumb is defined as the amount of charge carried by a current of one Ampere in a second, why is its units Amperes seconds and not Amperes per seconds?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

[tex]I=\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] by definition and so [tex]Q = \int I\;dt[/tex] which has a unit of (amperes x seconds)
    seems obvious to me, do I understand your question correctly?

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    Yes, I see how it works mathematically. But I just thought "the amount of charge carried by a current of one Ampere in a second" was similar to the amount of charge carried by a current of one Ampere per second" so it would have units of Amperes/S

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No because a coulomb is a total amount of charge not a rate, so after 2 seconds you have 2 coulombs.

6. Aug 12, 2007 #5

mjsd

Homework Helper

yeah, another example Energy = Power x time
    and Energy is not a rate, while Power is. so amount of charge is like "energy" in this analogy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?