Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units question

  1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    in medicine, a persons platelet count is often reported as either N/m3 or K/uL. are these equivalent, how can one convert between them??
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Don't know what N and K are - but must presumably be dimensionless.
    uL = micro litre = 10^-9 m3
  4. Nov 14, 2007 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Not sure how this could be seen as a PreCalculus Math problem???

    Moved to Biology.

    It's in your court Moonbear,
  5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

    jim mcnamara

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    In the US it is reported as a number per cubic millimeter.

    150000 / [tex]mm^{3}[/tex] or [itex]10^{-6}l[/itex] a microliter.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  6. Nov 15, 2007 #5

    jim mcnamara

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Oops. I didn't really answer the question -

    A microliter is the SAME volume as a cubic mm. Your m3 should have been a mm3, I guess. N is just any old number, preferably from 150,000-400,000 would be nice,
    and K is any old number as well.

    So you do not have to convert anything.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads - Units question Date
Disc hernia question Mar 10, 2018
What is the unit to use in evolution? Jan 5, 2013
Medical Is blood donation actually valuable? Are all units really used? Sep 6, 2012
Medical Gene therapy and stem cells unite Oct 13, 2011
Medical Standard blood-thinning unit Sep 16, 2011