1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Units Question

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The velocity of a traverse wave traveling along a string depends on the tension of the string, F, which has units of force, and its mass per length unit u.
    Assume v = F^x * u^y. The values may be found using dimensional analysis.

2. Relevant equations
    I am pretty sure I understand dimensional analysis. I just don't know what the units are for "mass per length" . I am assuming that the Force is in newtons (kg * m /s^2) and I know velocity is (m/s). Sorry for the goofy question but I'm still waiting on my book to come in from Amazon and I can't to find an answer on Google for mass per length. Thanks

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't want help with solving the problem itself. I am just wondering what mass per unit length means so I can solve the question.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    Nevermind I just figured out it is kg/m

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3

presbyope

Gold Member

They are distinguishing between "units" and "dimensions" -- for example, velocity has dimensions length/time no matter what system of units you use. But yes, it's easier just to put the units in.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook