1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units Vectors and Planes

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find 2 unit vectors u1, u2, lying in the plane, x-y+z=0, which are not parallel to each other.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried taking the unit vector of the normal vector <1,-1,1> which is <1/rad(3),-1/rad(3),1/rad(3)>, but my teacher has told me it is not in the plane.

Then for my second vector, I created a parallel vector, but then I reread the question and found out they are not supposed to be parallel.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, obviously. x- y+ z= (1-(-1)+ 1)/rad(3)= rad(3) not 0! You are aware, I am sure, that the normal vector to a plane is not in the plane! (If you are not, reread the definition of "normal vector".)

A very good case for always rereading the question (several times)! Yes, it says "not parallel".

To find a vector in the plane x- y+ z= 0, look for values of x, y, z that satisfy that equation. There are, of course, an infinite number of such choices. You can choose any values you like for x and y, for example, and then solve the equation for z. 1 and 0 are good, simple, choices.
    If x= 1 and y= 0, then z must satisfy 1- 0+ z= 0.
    If x= 0 and y= 1, then z must satisfy 0- 1+ z= 0.

Now form unit vectors from <x, y, z> and show that they are not parallel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?