Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unity gain buffer

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    all of the electronics text books say that you can make a unity gain buffer out of a non inverting amplifier by making R2 = 0 and R1 = infinity. Why does R1 have to be infinite? The TF for a non inverting amp is 1 + r2/r1, so as long as r2 = 0, and R1 should make a unity gain buffer, right?

Is this just a practical consideration, IE why waste a resistor, if you don't need it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't actaully use r1 or (r2) in an actual unity gain circuit you just connect Vout to -ve in.
    It is set to infinity in the maths just so you don't have to consider the potential divider, you can't really of course have an infinite resistance just like you cant have r2=0.

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    They do have 0 Ohm resistors. Why? I don't know.

5. Jan 8, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A few reasons,
    Sometimes you need to connect a link on some versions of a board, you would normally just use a link but for surface mount the pick-place machines can handle resistors. Alternatively they are useful for confusing students!

6. Jan 9, 2008 #5

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I always called these jumpers!

7. Jan 9, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On surface mount they are the same package as resistors and called 0 ohm.
    I assume because it simplifies the pick-system rather than having a separate class of jumper parts.

8. Jan 9, 2008 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

Here's the usual configuration on wiki (inverting)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?