Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 for LVDT Sensor

In summary, the required output is according to the change in LVDT sensor(resistive type). Dave used an old op-amp and a center-tapped battery circuit to create a split rail voltage supply for the op-amp.
Ramana
Hello,

Here need a suggestion on Unity gain buffer using op-amp 741.

The output i need in the range according to change in LVDT sensor (resistive type).
The output of the sensor is 35mv to 3.5 VDC.
The circuit i build using op-amp741 as voltage follower where the output is given feedback to non-inverting input.
Now the output from Op-amp am getting is 1.85 VDC to 3.5VDC.

The required output is according to the change in LVDT sensor(resistive type) i.e from some mV to 3.5 VDC.
How can i minimize the voltage of 1.85 VDC at the op-amp ouptut?

Best Regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
if you are not running the op-amp off a split rail supply, you won't get the output below ~ 2V

as an aside, why are you using such an old op-amp ? there are many better newer devices

Dave

Thank you for yur reply Dave.
davenn said:
op-amp off a split rail supply
I don't understand split rail supply.

I don't have any other components than Op-Amp right now.

Ok. Is there any circuit for making split voltage (negative voltage)??

OK here's one example of a split rail PSU

12V DUAL POWER SUPPLY.jpg

depending on your overall circuit, you may be able to use a +5V 0V -5V supply

NOTE ... I don't know where your are in the world, nor your mains voltage, use the appropriate transformer. Also if you only need a + and - 5V the transformer output could also be lower say 9-0-9VAC

Dave

Ramana said:
Ok. Is there any circuit for making split voltage (negative voltage)??
Yes, a resistive voltage divider being the simplest one.

zoki85 said:
Yes, a resistive voltage divider being the simplest one.
as long as the overall circuit current requirements are very low, that's OK

since we don't know the full extent of what the OP is doing, I didn't suggest that method

Dave

Two batteries can make a split supply.

LM324 can work from a single (not split) supply .

Thank you dear all for your best suggestions.

I have used CENTER-TAPPED BATTERY CIRCUIT for split rail voltages for Op-Amp 741.
The output is exactly as what i needed. That changes according to LVDT sensor.

Best Luck.

Attachments

• Battery.PNG
    Battery.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 470

1. What is a Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741?

A Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 is a circuit that uses an operational amplifier (op-amp) to amplify and buffer a voltage signal without changing its gain. It is commonly used to isolate and amplify weak signals from sensors, such as LVDT sensors.

2. How does a Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 work?

The op-amp in a Unity Gain Buffer is configured in a non-inverting amplifier configuration with a feedback resistor equal to the input resistor. This results in a gain of 1, or unity gain, and ensures that the output voltage is the same as the input voltage. The op-amp also has a high input impedance, which helps in buffering the signal and preventing any loading effects on the sensor.

3. Why is a Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 commonly used with LVDT sensors?

LVDT sensors produce a very small AC output voltage, typically in the millivolt range. This signal is prone to noise and interference, and needs to be amplified for accurate measurement. A Unity Gain Buffer provides the necessary amplification without altering the signal's gain, making it ideal for use with LVDT sensors.

4. What are the benefits of using a Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 for LVDT sensors?

Using a Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 can provide several benefits for LVDT sensors. It can prevent loading effects on the sensor, improve the signal-to-noise ratio, and provide a stable and accurate output voltage. It also allows for flexibility in choosing the output impedance and can be easily adjusted for different sensor requirements.

5. Are there any limitations of using a Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 for LVDT sensors?

One potential limitation of using a Unity Gain Buffer with Op-Amp 741 is that it requires a dual power supply. This means that both positive and negative voltages are needed to power the op-amp, which may not be readily available in all applications. Additionally, the op-amp may introduce some noise and distortion to the signal, so careful consideration of the op-amp's specifications and selection is important for optimal performance.