Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Algorithm?

1. Apr 2, 2004 #1
    Here is the definition of "algorithm":

DNA is an algorithm, a finite set of instructions, which can construct a carbon based life form.

The life form physically contains the DNA and the DNA contains the life form in an "abstract" sense.

At a fundamental level of existence, it is postulated that "nature" could be constructed of tiny strings, and those strings, loops, or branes, could even be constructed of string "bits".

These bits could encode information, analogous to the universe's "DNA"? A set of instructions built into the fabric of space/time and mass/energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2004 #2
    maybe, maybe not

Your post was so vague that it is impossible to say anything about it..I think you should study more quantum mechanics!
  4. Apr 3, 2004 #3
    Memories based on positioning of higgsparticles, right?
  5. Apr 3, 2004 #4
    Some interesting ideas on "string bits":

According to string theory, the uncertainty in position is given by:

Dx < h/Dp + C*Dp

Which points towards a type of "discrete" spacetime?

6. Apr 4, 2004 #5
    Yeah, interesting stuff, hadn't read about those before!

But I think those bits in the string-bits models don't really have that much to do with (digital) algorithms. Of course it depends on how you define an algorithm, I guess any physical system could be called an algorithm, but it wouldn't be very useful..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?