Universal Coupling: What Is It?

In summary, a universal coupling is a mechanical device that connects two rotating shafts and allows them to rotate at different angles while transmitting power between them. It consists of two yokes connected by a cross-shaped joint, allowing for flexibility and reducing stress on the shafts. Common applications include automotive drive shafts, industrial equipment, and agricultural machinery. The right universal coupling for a specific application depends on factors such as power requirements, speed, and angle of rotation, and should be determined through consultation with a qualified engineer or manufacturer.
ms_r
Hello everyone...
I am new in engineering and I've given a topic about 'Universal Coupling'. But when do some research with Google, it seems don't have some information about the topic. Is anyone can help me to find some link or information? Is universal coupling = universal joint?
Thanks...

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a universal coupling?

A universal coupling, also known as a universal joint, is a mechanical device that connects two rotating shafts and allows them to rotate at different angles while transmitting power between them.

2. How does a universal coupling work?

A universal coupling consists of two yokes connected by a cross-shaped joint. Each yoke is attached to a shaft, and the cross-shaped joint allows the two shafts to rotate at different angles while still transmitting power between them.

3. What are the advantages of using a universal coupling?

A universal coupling allows for the transmission of power between two shafts that are not aligned with each other. It also allows for a degree of flexibility, reducing stress and wear on the shafts and other components.

4. What are some common applications of universal couplings?

Universal couplings are commonly used in automotive drive shafts, industrial equipment, and agricultural machinery. They are also used in some types of pumps, generators, and marine propulsion systems.

5. How do I choose the right universal coupling for my application?

The right universal coupling for your application will depend on several factors, including the power requirements, speed, and angle of rotation. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer or manufacturer to determine the best universal coupling for your specific needs.