Universal Expansion: Faster Than Light?

In summary, conventional cosmologists believe that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, but there is a possible alternate route that suggests the universe is exploding.
CBJammin103
As far as I know it's generally accepted that the entire universe is expanding; however, I recall hearing or reading that as far as we can observe, it is expanding faster than the speed of light.

How is this possible? Assuming that it is in fact expanding faster than the speed of light, of course. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that somewhere.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
CBJammin103 said:
As far as I know it's generally accepted that the entire universe is expanding; however, I recall hearing or reading that as far as we can observe, it is expanding faster than the speed of light.

How is this possible? Assuming that it is in fact expanding faster than the speed of light, of course. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that somewhere.
You will hear from conventional cosmologists that the universe can expand so fast that there is no problem with any observed expansion that is apparently faster than the speed of light. If you'd like the grand tour, just be persistent and it will be forthcoming.

My personal view of physics contains an alternate route, branching at the distance/redshift relationtionship often attributed to Hubble, but never embraced or endorsed by him. Namely, the concept that the universe must be exploding because the farther galaxies are, the more they are redshifted.

It is entirely possible that light can be redshifted by traveling long distances, interacting with transmissive media etc, etc. Hubble was open to this - more recent folks are not.

You will hear from conventional cosmologists that the universe can expand so fast that there is no problem with any observed expansion that is apparently faster than the speed of light. If you'd like the grand tour, just be persistent and it will be forthcoming.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this...?

I guess I'm not too sure on how we can measure universal expansion in the first place though.

Check back a few pages to here . It should clarify things. If not, there are a few other threads kicking about that deal with the same thing.

What is universal expansion?

Universal expansion refers to the phenomenon in which the universe is expanding in all directions. This means that objects in the universe are moving away from each other at a faster rate as time goes on.

What is "faster than light" in relation to universal expansion?

Faster than light refers to the rate at which the expansion of the universe is occurring. According to current theories, the expansion of the universe is happening at a speed faster than the speed of light.

How do scientists measure the expansion of the universe?

Scientists measure the expansion of the universe using various methods, such as observing the redshift of light from distant galaxies and measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation. These measurements can then be used to calculate the rate of expansion.

What is causing the universe to expand faster than light?

The exact cause of the universe's expansion is still unknown and is a subject of ongoing research. One theory is that it is driven by a mysterious force called "dark energy" that makes up the majority of the universe's energy density.

Could the universe eventually expand to the point where objects are moving away from each other faster than the speed of light?

According to current theories, the expansion of the universe will continue to accelerate, but it is not expected to reach speeds faster than the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is considered to be a fundamental speed limit in the universe.