Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal gas, Boltzmann's constant

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    I understand the formulas involved and numerical values of these constants and in the respective units . However I'm still having troubling understanding exactly what it is these two constants define. Does Universal gas constant say that For every mol times Kelvin there is 8.315J ? I don't think that makes sense since an increase in kelvin should actually decrease the amount joules, since K is in the denominator, which I believe then defies a portion of kinetic theory. Then Boltzmann's constant is it saying that every atom will have 1.38x amount of joules per kelvin?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

R is defined by this relationship going back to the definition of enthalpy:

[tex]h = u + \frac{p}{\rho}[/tex] and the form of ideal gas equation of state [tex]p =\rho RT[/tex] You get:

[tex]h = u + RT[/tex]

If you differentiate with respect to temperature:

[tex]dh = du + R dT[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dh}{dT} = \frac{du}{dT} + R[/tex]

From relations for ideal gases...

[tex]C_v = \frac{du}{dT}[/tex] and [tex]C_p = \frac{dh}{dT}[/tex]

we can say that [tex]C_p = C_v + R[/tex] or

[tex]C_p - C_v = R[/tex]

This is important because that says that for all ideal gasses, the difference between [tex]C_p[/tex] and [tex]C_v[/tex] is a constant.
  4. Jul 9, 2005 #3
    oh, I don't think came across any formula concerning enthalpy yet but it makes sense in equation form.
  5. Jul 9, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

Enthalpy is a very useful term. If you get into thermodynamics you will become very familiar with it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?