1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Gravitation and X-ray pulses

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1
    I'm having a little bit of a problem with this one. Here's the question:

X-ray pulses from Cygnus X-1, a celestial x-ray source, have been recorded during high-altitude rocket flights. The signals can be interpreted as originating when a blob of ionized matter orbits a black hole with a period of 4.7 ms. If the blob were in a circular orbit about a black hole whose mass is 18 * MSun, what is the orbit radius?

Here's my train of thought. I used one of Kepler's laws:

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    T^2 = \frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM_{blackhole}}\\
    r = (\frac{T^2GM_{blackhole}}{4\pi^2})^(\frac{1}{3})\\
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

I changed the milliseconds to seconds, and I got a answer of 110196.285 meters. I'm letting the mass of the sun be 1.991 x 1030 kg.

I enter this into webassign, but I doesn't like it. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2
    I don't see anything wrong in what you did (other than keeping too many significant digits). Try rounding the answer to 110 km.

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kepler's laws won't apply when you're this close to a black hole. I'll have to think about this one a bit. Although the title of this thread suggests you're supposed to be using Newtonian mechanics...

- Warren

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4
    These questions were in the "Universal Gravitation" chapter. It's got to have something to do with either Kepler's laws, or the law of universal gravitation.

6. Dec 11, 2003 #5
    Heh, it was a decimial problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

If only all of these problems would be so simple!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?