Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Universal Gravitation and X-ray pulses

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1
    I'm having a little bit of a problem with this one. Here's the question:

X-ray pulses from Cygnus X-1, a celestial x-ray source, have been recorded during high-altitude rocket flights. The signals can be interpreted as originating when a blob of ionized matter orbits a black hole with a period of 4.7 ms. If the blob were in a circular orbit about a black hole whose mass is 18 * MSun, what is the orbit radius?

Here's my train of thought. I used one of Kepler's laws:

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    T^2 = \frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM_{blackhole}}\\
    r = (\frac{T^2GM_{blackhole}}{4\pi^2})^(\frac{1}{3})\\
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

I changed the milliseconds to seconds, and I got a answer of 110196.285 meters. I'm letting the mass of the sun be 1.991 x 1030 kg.

I enter this into webassign, but I doesn't like it. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2
    I don't see anything wrong in what you did (other than keeping too many significant digits). Try rounding the answer to 110 km.

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kepler's laws won't apply when you're this close to a black hole. I'll have to think about this one a bit. Although the title of this thread suggests you're supposed to be using Newtonian mechanics...

- Warren

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4
    These questions were in the "Universal Gravitation" chapter. It's got to have something to do with either Kepler's laws, or the law of universal gravitation.

6. Dec 11, 2003 #5
    Heh, it was a decimial problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

If only all of these problems would be so simple!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook