1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Gravitation homework

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the not-too-distant future astronauts will travel to mars to carry out scientific explorations. As part of their mission, it is likely that a "geosynchronous" satelite will be placed
    above a given point on the Martian equator to facilitate communcations. At what altitude above the surface of mars should such a satellite orbit? (the Martian day is 24.6229 hours. other relevant information can be found in appendix c.) At what altitude above the suface of mars should such a satellite orbit?

2. Relevant equations

I know that we should use Universal Gravitation (F = GmM1/R^2).

3. The attempt at a solution

r = (GMT/2pi)^.5
    i did this to solve for the radius, converting the Maritan day into seconds first.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello yiyi,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

You will have to show more work. Something isn't quite right to me with your "r = (GMT/2pi)^.5" answer. Perhaps if you show some of your work we can help find what went wrong.

As a hint though, set the gravitational force equal to the centripetal force and solve for r.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    I think I just did some mathematical calculations wrong. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted