• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Universal Gravitation Problem

Homework Statement

Three point particles are fixed in place in the xy plane. The three partiles sit on the
corners of an equilateral triangle with sides of length a = 2.50 mm. Particle 1 has a mass m1 = 12.0 kg,
particle 2 has a mass m2 = 18.0 kg, and particle 3 has a mass m3 = 15.0 kg.

1. What is the magnitude and direction of the net gravitational force exerted on particle 1 by the other
two particles?[/B]

Homework Equations

G((m1m2)/a2)

and

G((m1m3)/a2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to use the above equation and separate them by its x and y components. But I feel that because its an equilateral triangle I need to somehow make it into a right triangles so that the radius from mass 1 of both particles will be 30 degrees from mass 1 if I make mass 1 the origin.

How do I attack this problem?

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You have 2 forces acting on particle #1. You know these 2 forces act with an angle of how many degrees between them?

Draw the diagram.

lightgrav
Homework Helper
probably easiest to add the components ... it is the same thing as splitting the equilateral into 2 right triangles.
put mass 1 at the tip of the A , there's only 1 component.

You have 2 forces acting on particle #1. You know these 2 forces act with an angle of how many degrees between them?

Draw the diagram.
Sorry, I forgot to mention I did. I drew what forces acted on mass 1 as well.

Where I am drawing a mental blank is if I divide it into two right trianges I get that a sides are the hypotenuse and the opposite angle of mass 1 is !/2a but the how do I find the adjacent side to mass 1?

Attachments

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Doesn't Pythagoras help you with right triangles?