1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Gravitation Question

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given: G = 6.67259 × 10^−11 Nm2/kg2
    A small Moon of a planet has an orbital period of 2.08 days and an orbital radius of 5.04 × 10^5 km.
    From these data, determine the mass of the planet. Answer in units of kg.

2. Relevant equations

FG=FC
    FG=Gm1m2/r^2
    FC=mv^2/r
    3. The attempt at a solution

First step was to convert into meters/seconds:
    2.08 days to 179712 seconds
    5.04x10^5km to 5.04x10^8m

Use v=d/t (or v=2[tex]\pi[/tex]r/T) and get a velocity of 17621.1m/s. Use Fg=Fc and simplify to Gm/r=v^2, rearrange to v^2r/G=m. I crunched out the numbers and get a mass that's nearly as large as the sun. The problem states it's a planet, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong...what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I don't see any error in your calculation... What is your final number you get for mass? Note the mass of the sun is about 2*10^30 kg.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Doh, I guess I should have done half a second of research before I posted this topic.

For some reason I thought the earth was ....x10^10, rather than x10^24. I got an answer of something (don't have the papers by me now)x10^27, which now seems fairly reasonable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook