1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Universal Gravitation question

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    Hi Guys im in year 12 and have my exam shortly would just like to ask a question to do with gravity.

A small satellite orbits Mars. It has a kinetic energy of 3.0x10^10 J, and is at a constant distance of 8.0x10^7 m from the center of Mars. What is the weight of the satellite at this height?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

How is weight defined?

ehild

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    it gives no further explanation but im guessing mg?

5. Jun 2, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

No, mg is at the surface of Earth. I asked what you have learnt about weight, as there are two different definitions and one says that the orbiting bodies are weightless. Here, I think weight is meant as the gravitational force of Mars on the satellite.

To get the force of gravity at distance R from Mars, you can use the equations for the kinetic energy related to the centripetal force along a circular orbit. If m is the mass of the satellite and M is that of Mars, and G is the gravitational constant, the gravitational force is GmM/R^2. The kinetic energy is KE= .5 mv^2.
    For a circular orbit, the centripetal force = the force of gravity, and this is the weight of the satellite.

The centripetal force is mv^2/R,

mv^2/R = GmM/R^2.

Go ahead.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook