1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Gravitation Question!

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At a certain point between Earth and the Moon, the net gravitational force exerted on an object by the Earth and the Moon is ZERO. The mass of the Moon is 1.2% the Mass of the Earth. The centre to centre distance between the Moon and the Earth is 3.84*10^5 km.

i) WHERE IS THIS POINT LOCATED?
    ii) What is the meaning of the quadratic root whose value exceeds the Earth-Moon distance?

2. Relevant equations
    Fg=Gm1m2/R^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Fnet=0
    Fnet=Fmoon-Fearth
    Fmoon=Fearth
    Rmoon=x
    Rearth=3.84*10^8m-x
    Mmoon=1.2
    Mearth=100

Uh....what's next? And am I right so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good. Now use the Gravity equation to get expressions for Fmoon and Fearth. Hint: Let the mass of the object be 'm'.

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    Do I need to put a value in for 'm' or can I just get rid of it since its on both sides of the equation.

5. Jul 13, 2010 #4

Doc Al

What do you think? :wink:

6. Jul 13, 2010 #5
    100/(3.84*10^8m-x)^2 = 1.2/x^2

Is that right? Do I isolate for x?

7. Jul 13, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Looks good to me. You'll have to solve for x. Rearrange terms to put the quadratic into standard form.

8. Jul 13, 2010 #7
    I'm not getting the right answer which is supposed to be 3.5*10^5m from Earth's centre. I will try again.

9. Jul 13, 2010 #8

Doc Al

Realize that you've defined your variable X to be the distance from the Moon's center. Once you have X, you can then figure out the distance from the Earth's center.

10. Jul 28, 2010 #9
    Ok thanks, I think the textbook answer was just wrong. :)

11. Jul 28, 2010 #10

Doc Al

I suspect that the book's answer was in km, not m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook