How to Calculate Work on a Satellite in a Gravitational Field

In summary: Actually, I think he is ok. The kinetic energy at radius R is GMm/(2R). The potential is -GMm/R. So the sum is, as he states, -GMm/(2R).Was just the procedure in the attempt at the solution that made me think it was total mechanical energy.I have the exact same question. This is one of the method that I used: E intial = Ki + Ui = 0 + (-GMm/2R)E final = Kf + Uf = (1/2)(GMm/3R) + (-GMm/3R)then Work = E final - E intial
Momentum09

Homework Statement

Given: The universal gravitational constant G = 6.67 E-11, the mass of the Earth M = 5.98E24, and its radius R = 6.7 E6. How much work must an external force do on the satellite to move it from a circular orbit of radius 2R to 3R, if its mass is 2000kg? Answer in Joules.

Homework Equations

I know that E = -GMm/2r, where M is the mass of the Earth and m = satellite.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated the total energy in each radii,
for 2R, -GMm/4R
for 3R, -GMm/6R
then I subtract one from the other to get the net energy change. I don't know what to do after that. Please help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a considerably simpler way of doing this. The work done in moving an object from one orbit to another is:

[tex] W=\int_{r_1}^{r_2} F(r) dr [/tex]

EDIT: Sorry forgot to say that your method is fine for potential energy not total mechanical energy as you have used.

Last edited:
thank you so much! :)

Kurdt said:
There is a considerably simpler way of doing this. The work done in moving an object from one orbit to another is:

[tex] W=\int_{r_1}^{r_2} F(r) dr [/tex]

EDIT: Sorry forgot to say that your method is fine for potential energy not total mechanical energy as you have used.

Actually, I think he is ok. The kinetic energy at radius R is GMm/(2R). The potential is -GMm/R. So the sum is, as he states, -GMm/(2R).

Was just the procedure in the attempt at the solution that made me think it was total mechanical energy.

I have the exact same question. This is one of the method that I used:
E intial = Ki + Ui = 0 + (-GMm/2R)
E final = Kf + Uf = (1/2)(GMm/3R) + (-GMm/3R)
then Work = E final - E intial

this make sense right? Then why it doesn't work

I also try the integrate method, but nothing work! Can somebody please tell me why?
and how to fix it?

If it's in orbit at radius 2R, how can Ki=0?

ok, so Ki is not = O; Then why is it the integration method didn't work either?

They both work. You just have to do them right.

What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental physical principle that states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who discovered universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica".

How does universal gravitation affect objects on Earth?

Universal gravitation is responsible for the gravitational force that keeps objects on Earth bound to its surface. This force also determines the motion of objects in Earth's orbit, such as satellites and the Moon.

How does universal gravitation relate to the Theory of General Relativity?

The Theory of General Relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915, expands upon the concept of universal gravitation by including the effects of acceleration and the curvature of spacetime. It provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravity.

Can universal gravitation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, universal gravitation can be observed in everyday life. For example, when an object is dropped, it falls to the ground due to the force of gravity. The orbits of planets and moons around their respective stars are also manifestations of universal gravitation.