1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Gravitation

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    Neutron stars are extremely dense objects that are formed from the remnants of supernova explosions. Many rotate very rapidly. Suppose that the mass of a certain spherical neutron star is twice the mass of the Sun and its radius is 5.0 km. Determine the greatest possible angular speed it can have so that the matter at the surface of the star on its equator is just held in orbit by the gravitational force.

First I would find escape velocity
    [​IMG]
    And using that velocity as the tangent I could find the angular velocity? Is that a correct assumption?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2
    Hmm, this problem is a little tricky in disguise. If matter at the equator is JUST held on my gravity, that means the object is ALMOST weightless. Use a force balance and set that equal to m*centripedal acceleration and then ask yourself what it means to be weightless. Where does that get you?

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3
    I think you have my question confused with that of the person below me !

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4
    That's interesting. I think you have your question confused with another one! No, but really...you can do your problem either way. It's just easier the way I said in my opinion.

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

It's not necessary here to find escape velo. The force due to gravity should be equal to the centrifugal force at the equator. The same as dwintz02 said.

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

He can't do it using escape velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?