Universal gravitation

• Thread starter ookt2c
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A synchronous satellite, which always remains above the same point on a planet's wquator, is put in orbit around jupiter to study the famous red spot. jupiter rotates once every 9.84 h. find the altitude of the satelite

Homework Equations

jupiter: mass in kg 1.90E27,Mean radius 6.99E7,period of revolutions3.74E8,Mean distance from the sun7.78E11 (t^2/R^3)(S^2/M^3)= 2.97E-19

The Attempt at a Solution

I dont know where to start , missed a day of class

Answers and Replies

Shooting Star
Homework Helper
The force of gravity must be equal to the centripetal force. (But this is true for even if the satellite is not synchronous.)

kdv

Homework Statement

A synchronous satellite, which always remains above the same point on a planet's wquator, is put in orbit around jupiter to study the famous red spot. jupiter rotates once every 9.84 h. find the altitude of the satelite

Homework Equations

jupiter: mass in kg 1.90E27,Mean radius 6.99E7,period of revolutions3.74E8,Mean distance from the sun7.78E11 (t^2/R^3)(S^2/M^3)= 2.97E-19

The Attempt at a Solution

I dont know where to start , missed a day of class

Strictly speaking, this is possible only if the point on th eplanet is at the equator. I don't think that the Red Spot is on th eequator but let's pretend it is.

Then you have to impose that the force of gravity on the satellite is equal to m tiomes the radial acceleration so
[tex] F_{grav} = m \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

where "r" is the distance from the satellite to the center of the planet.