Universal Gravitation and spacecraft

In summary, a spacecraft with zero kinetic energy and running out of fuel at a distance of infinity from Earth will eventually crash into the Earth due to the gravitational force. The mass of Earth is 5.97×1024 kg and its radius is 6.38×106 m. The equation used to find the speed of the spacecraft when it crashes into the Earth is -GM/(r + Re) = 1/2v2 + -GM/Re. The second part of the question asks for the speed of the spacecraft at a distance of xR(E) from the center of Earth. The correct equation to use is -GM/r = 1/2v2 + -GM/Re, resulting in a speed of
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

Very far from Earth (r = infinity), a spacecraft has run out of fuel and its kinetic energy is zero. If only the gravitational force of the Earth were to act on it (i.e., neglect the forces from the sun and other solar system objects), the spacecraft would eventually crash into the earth. The mass of the Earth is M_e=5.97×1024 kg and its radius is R_e=6.38×106 m.
G = 6.67 x 10-11

Find the speed V of the spacecraft when it eventually crashes into the earth.

Homework Equations

k = 1/2 mv2

U = -GMm/Re

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found this question fine by doing

ki + Ui = kf + Uf

ki = 0

-GMm/(r + Re) = 1/2mv2 + -GMm/Re

reduce to get

-GM/infinty = 1/2v2 + -GM/Re

0 = 1/2v2 + -62413636.36

v = 11172 m/s

The next part is what i don't get

Now find the spacecraft 's speed when its distance from the center of the Earth is r=x(Re), where x=11.5

so r = 7.337 x 107

Using the same equation

-GM/(r) = 1/2v2 + -GM/Re

-5427272.7 = 1/2v2 + -62413636.36

v = 10675 m/s

but that is wrong.

The right answer is 3294 m/s

to get 3294 m/s you have to do

0 = 1/2v2 + -GM/(r) ...r = 7.337 x 107

This step right here is what i don't get. The Ui should not be zero it should be -GM/(r) and the Uf should be -GM/(Re) not -GM/(r)

I don't get why the way i did it on this part where i got v = 10675 doesn't give me the right answer of 3294 :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second part is asking the same as the first part except instead of wanting v when it crashes to Earth, it wants v at xR(E). It is till starting from r=infinity. Why would Uf = -GMm/R(E) when it is not located at R(E)?

Oh ok i got it. Thanks. I thought it still wanted it when crashing into Earth from the new r. Mastering Physics is always so wordy :(

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental physical principle that states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does universal gravitation affect spacecraft?

Universal gravitation plays a crucial role in the motion of spacecraft in outer space. The gravitational pull of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, affects the trajectory and speed of spacecraft, making it necessary for engineers to carefully calculate and account for these forces in their designs.

3. Can universal gravitation be observed in space?

Yes, universal gravitation can be observed in space through the orbits of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies. The laws of universal gravitation also explain the behavior of objects in space, such as the formation of galaxies and the motion of comets and asteroids.

4. How does the mass of a spacecraft affect its gravitational pull?

The mass of a spacecraft does not affect its gravitational pull on other objects. However, the mass of a spacecraft does affect the strength of the gravitational pull it experiences from other objects, as the force of gravity is directly proportional to an object's mass.

5. Can universal gravitation be explained by any other theories?

Universal gravitation can be explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which provides a more accurate understanding of gravity at extremely large scales, such as in the universe. However, Newton's laws of universal gravitation are still used in most practical applications, as they are simpler and more than sufficient for most purposes.