Universal Gravitation homework

In summary, a student proposes to study the gravitational force by suspending 2 100 kg sperical objects at the lower ends of cables from the ceiling of a tall cathedral and measuring the deflection of the cables from the vertical. The 45 m long cables are attatched to the ceiling 1m apart. The first object is suspended and its position is carefully measured. The second object is suspended and the 2 objects atract each other gravitationally. By what disance has the first object moved horizontally from its initial position due to the gravitational attraction to the other object? The Attempt at a Solution
jawhnay

Homework Statement

A student proposes to study the gravitational force by suspending 2 100 kg sperical objects at the lower ends of cables from the ceiling of a tall cathedral and measuring the deflection of the cables from the vertical. The 45 m long cables are attatched to the ceiling 1m apart. The first object is suspended and its position is carefully measured. The second object is suspended and the 2 objects atract each other gravitationally. By what disance has the first object moved horizontally from its initial position due to the gravitational attraction to the other object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the force between the two objects using Newton's law of universal gravitation. Not sure where to go from there...

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1) Draw a picture. What is the direction of the force on one object due to the other?

Step 2) Draw all the forces on each of the balls.

Do you see where to go from here?

Well, I drew a picture and the force on each of the balls is mg. so 100(9.8)=980 N and the force on one object due to other is 6.67 x 10^-7. I see a right triangle but not really sure how to approach it... My physics is kind of rusty so any hints would help..

Okay, can you tell the direction (horizontal or vertical?) of the ball-Earth force and the direction of ball-ball force?

I am not sure about the numbers but the ball-Earth force's magnitude is much larger than ball-ball force's magnitude, just as you have shown.

The direction of of the ball-Earth force is vertical while the direction of the ball-ball force is horizontal?

jawhnay said:
The direction of of the ball-Earth force is vertical while the direction of the ball-ball force is horizontal?

Right!

Now do the second step from my first post:
Step 2) Draw all the forces on each of the balls.

Since the ball isn't moving, all forces must balance.

I'm still really lost on how to find the distance that is has moved though =/

We're getting there! Okay let me write all the steps.

1. Draw all forces on each balls. (There will be three: ball-ball in horizontal, ball-Earth in vertical and tension with components in vertical and horizontal.)
2. Balance forces, i.e. all forces in vertical direction should be zero, so should all forces in horizontal direction.

You should already have drawn pictures (at least two, one before the second ball comes in, one after).

Does that help?

not really... I'm still stuck in the same situation even with the forces drawn

Okay let's go step by step. If there was no second ball, could you balance the forces? What's the magnitude and direction of each force on the first ball when there is no second ball?

100(9.8)=980 N which is the force on the ball going downward. The tension is 980 N going upward since the ball is not moving.

Nice! Now, suppose another ball is drawn close to the first ball. First ball is attracted by the second ball, what will happen to it? Try to answer in a non-technical way.

the first ball will move towards the second ball in a horizontal motion.

In this image, I have tried to show all the forces.
1. Can you label them?
2. Can you write all forces (or their components) in vertical direction?
3. Can you write all forces (or their components) in horizontal direction?

PS - a in that figure is the angle that you're looking for.

i've figured it out. I was under the impression that the 2 balls were hanging from separate cables 1 meter apart... yeah i got my diagram wrong. thanks a lot!

jawhnay said:
i've figured it out. I was under the impression that the 2 balls were hanging from separate cables 1 meter apart... yeah i got my diagram wrong. thanks a lot!

They are indeed hanging from two separate cables o.o
In my figure, the dotted lines show the first ball system initially (without second ball), the solid lines on the other hand is the final configuration.

To clarify more, I have not drawn the second ball there at all.

Can you post your solution here so we know you figured it out correctly?

1. How does universal gravitation work?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that governs the attraction between all objects with mass. It states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 in his law of universal gravitation. However, the concept of gravity has been studied by many scientists throughout history, including Aristotle, Galileo, and Kepler.

3. What is the difference between universal gravitation and gravity?

Universal gravitation is a mathematical law that describes the force of attraction between all objects with mass, while gravity is the physical phenomenon resulting from this force. In other words, universal gravitation is the theory, and gravity is the observable effect.

4. Does universal gravitation only apply to objects on Earth?

No, universal gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their location or size. However, the strength of the gravitational force may vary depending on the mass and distance of the objects.

5. How is universal gravitation related to orbital motion?

Universal gravitation plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in orbit. The gravitational force between a planet and its moon, for example, causes the moon to continuously orbit around the planet. This is because the force of gravity acts as a centripetal force, keeping the moon in its circular path.