• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Universal gravitational constant and satellite

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
thank you very much for your service. i wasnt confident in my answers because the distance seem rediculous from answer that i saw in the examples of my course book. but once again thank you for your expertise.
Most of the examples in your text probably dealt with satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO). The gravitational acceleration in LEO is about 90% of that on the Earth's surface. You need to go much higher to achieve more than a 50% reduction (4.5/9.807=0.459) in the gravitational acceleration.

10^13?
I typed into my calculator the following : (6.67x10-11)(5.98x1024) and I got 3.98866x1014... I did it several times and came up w/ that number...

So the answer i am submitting is 1000 m than what you submitted... 24 and -11 make 13, how did i get 14?

thank you very much for your service. i wasnt confident in my answers because the distance seem rediculous from answer that i saw in the examples of my course book. but once again thank you for your expertise.
if you're taking it from ILC, so am I, and there are alot of questions that dont make sense like that... the calculations and the constants are correct, but then they give you ridiculous numbers to deal with that dont make sense...