Universal gravity problem help needed

In summary, an object released from rest at an altitude h above the surface of the Earth will have a speed given by v=\sqrt{2GM_{E}(\frac{1}{r}-\frac{1}{R_{E}+h})} at a distance r from Earth's center. Assuming a release altitude of 500km, the time of fall can be found by performing the integral \Delta t=\int^{f}_{i} -\frac{dr}{v} numerically using techniques such as Simpson's rule.
gaborfk
An object is released from rest at an altitude h above the surface of the Earth.

a) Show that its speed at a distance r from Earth's center, where [tex]R_{E}\leq r\leq R_{E}+h[/tex], is given by

[tex]v=\sqrt{2GM_{E}(\frac{1}{r}-\frac{1}{R_{E}+h})}[/tex]

b)Assume the release altitude is 500km. Perform the integral

[tex]\Delta t=\int^{f}_{i} dt=\int^{f}_{i} -\frac{dr}{v}[/tex]

to find the time of fall as the object moves from the release point to the Earth's surface. The negative sign appears because the object is moving opposite to the radial direction, so its speed is

[tex]v= -\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]. Perform the integral numerically.

I am at a total loss with this one. It is my final physics problem ever! I am done with physics! (Computer Science major) Please, help. My head is about to explode.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
gaborfk said:
An object is released from rest at an altitude h above the surface of the Earth.

a) Show that its speed at a distance r from Earth's center, where [tex]R_{E}\leq r\leq R_{E}+h[/tex], is given by

[tex]v=\sqrt{2GM_{E}(\frac{1}{r}-\frac{1}{R_{E}+h})}[/tex]

b)Assume the release altitude is 500km. Perform the integral

[tex]\Delta t=\int^{f}_{i} dt=\int^{f}_{i} -\frac{dr}{v}[/tex]

to find the time of fall as the object moves from the release point to the Earth's surface. The negative sign appears because the object is moving opposite to the radial direction, so its speed is

[tex]v= -\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]. Perform the integral numerically.

I am at a total loss with this one. It is my final physics problem ever! I am done with physics! (Computer Science major) Please, help. My head is about to explode.

Thank you.

The first part results simply from the law of conservation of total energy of the particle's interaction with Earth.
By numerically u mean applying different methods of numerically solving integrals,e.g.the Runge-Kutta??I'm sorry,this part of computional mathematics is beyond my knowledge.
Hopefully somebody else would guide through point b).

Daniel.

The force law is F= -GmM/r2 so the potential energy at r is the integral of Fx dx from RE to r: GMm(1/r- 1/RE). Of course, the potential energy at RE+ h is given by the same formula: GMm(1/(RE+h)- 1/RE). The change in potential energy is the difference of those:
GMm(1/r- 1/(RE+h)) (the "1/RE" term cancel) and that must be equal to the acquired kinetic energy:
(1/2)mv2= GMm(1/r- 1/(RE+h)) . Solve for v.

Now, you want to integrate [tex]\int^{f}_{i} -\frac{dr}{v}[/tex]
which, from the previous part is
[tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2GM}}\int^{R_E}_{R_E+h}\frac{dr}{\sqrt{1/r-1/(R_E+h)}}[/tex]

If you are a computer science major, you certainly ought to be able to integrate that numerically, using, say, Simpson's rule. Any calculus text will describe it.

(dextercioby: "Runge-Kutta" is a numerical technique for differential equations. Not necessary here.)

1. What is universal gravity problem?

The universal gravity problem is a theoretical concept in physics that aims to explain the force of gravity and its effects on objects in the universe. It is based on Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe exerts a force of attraction on every other object.

2. How does universal gravity work?

Universal gravity works by the principle of mass attraction, where the larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that objects with greater mass will attract each other with a greater force, which explains why planets orbit around stars and moons orbit around planets.

3. What is the difference between universal gravity and general relativity?

Universal gravity is a classical theory that explains the force of gravity between objects with mass. On the other hand, general relativity is a more modern and complex theory that explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

4. How is universal gravity calculated?

Universal gravity is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be expressed as F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

5. Are there any limitations to the universal gravity theory?

Yes, there are limitations to the universal gravity theory. It does not take into account the effects of extremely strong gravitational fields, such as those near black holes, and it also does not explain the observed discrepancies in the orbits of Mercury and Uranus. These limitations led to the development of general relativity, which provides a more comprehensive understanding of gravity.