Universal law of gravitation ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of the sun's gravitational force on our weight at different times of the day. While the Earth's gravity is the primary source of our weight, the sun's gravity also plays a role. Due to the Earth's rotation, we are closest to the sun at noon and furthest at midnight. This results in a small difference in the force of gravity exerted on us by the sun, making us slightly heavier at midnight compared to noon. A calculation using the Newtonian equation for a 175 lb. person shows this difference to be miniscule but still present.
warehouse54
A "concept" question... I think the answer is yes... which means it probably is a definite "no."

The sun is directly below us at midnight, in line with the Earth's center. Are we then heavier at midnight, due to the sun's gravitational force on us, than we are at noon? Explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
The primary source of gravity that we feel here on Earth is earth. However other bodies affect our weight, such as the moon and the sun. The moon's gravity causes a very apparent effect on the oceans of earth; the tides.

During the rotation of the Earth you rotate with it in a circle. At one point you reach your farthest from the sun (which you called midnight) which means at noon you'd be closest to the sun. The vectors that represent your acceleration due to gravity (both Earth and sun) would look like this then:

Midnight

<----------------- earth
<- sun

Noon:
-----------------> earth
<- sun

Notice with the sun on the opposite side of you the Earth pulls you in the opposite direction. The MAGNITUDE of these arrows is way off scale, though. The force of gravity is divided by the square of the distance to the source of gravity as shown by:

http://en.wikipedia.org/math/b1365723a6484cc3ca9d0ce071b22f62.png

You are very close to the Earth compared to your distance to the sun, so the sun's gravitational force vector would be miniscule compared to the vector of the earth. But miniscule is not zero.

So yes, I argue that you are indeed heavier at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
For fun I quickly made a spreadsheet to do the calculations. I used the Newtonian equation for a 175 lb. person. I used one AU as the distance from the sun to the earth, and the radius of the Earth to find the person's distance to the sun at noon and midnight. This assumes the person is EXACTLY opposite the sun, standing on the Earth's plane of revolution, at both noon and midnight.

I represented the gravitational force values of the sun as (+) at midnight and (-) at noon, to represent their direction. Add the Sun's gravity to Earth's gravity to get a net "weight" for the person.

Here are my values:

Earth's gravity on you: 1.74781 E+20 N
Force (sun, midnight): +0.470795937 N
Force (sun, noon): -0.470876143 N

G: 6.67422 E-11 N*m^2/kg^2
M (sun): 1.98892 E+30 kg
M (earth): 5.9742 E+20 kg
M (person): 79.37866 kg
r (to sun, at mid): 149,604,371,000 m
r (to sun, at noon): 149,591,629,000 m

Distance from sun to earth: 1.49598E+11 m (1 Astronomical Unit)
Radius of earth: 6,371,000 m

Last edited:

1. What is the universal law of gravitation?

The universal law of gravitation is a physical law that describes the gravitational force between two objects with mass. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered the universal law of gravitation?

The universal law of gravitation was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687. He published his findings in his famous work "Principia Mathematica".

3. How does the universal law of gravitation apply to everyday life?

The universal law of gravitation is responsible for keeping objects on the surface of the Earth, as well as the moon in orbit around the Earth. It also affects the motion of planets in our solar system and the formation of galaxies in the universe.

4. Does the universal law of gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the universal law of gravitation applies to all objects with mass in the universe. It is a fundamental force that governs the motion of all objects, from the smallest particles to the largest celestial bodies.

5. How is the universal law of gravitation related to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity expanded upon Newton's universal law of gravitation by taking into account the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time. It provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of how gravity works in the universe.