1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Quantifier question

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    I have a question that says, determine the truth value of: [tex]\exists x \ni \forall y, \exists z \ni xz = y[/tex]

I am thinking this is false because: If you let x = 0, and let y = 1, then there is no value of z that will make the statement true. Am I thinking about this correctly?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Your reasoning would be right if that was a universal quantifier instead of an existential one. All you have to find is one x where this is true and the statement is true.
  4. Aug 29, 2005 #3
    So if x=1 then for every value of y there is a value of z such that xz = y.

So it is dependent on the statements afterward, the exestential quantifier [tex]\exists x[/tex] ? So I would say. There is a value of x such that for any value of y there is a value of z such that xz = y. I guess you are right, it sounds as though it depends on the things that follow. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?