Universe Expansion: Understanding the Concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe expanding and the movement of stars and galaxies within it. The analogy of a balloon and its expanding surface is used to explain that the coordinates of the universe do not change, but the space between them expands. It is also mentioned that expansion is not the cause of inertia or motion, and that gravity can overpower it in gravitationally bound regions. The conversation then moves on to questions about the movement of galaxies and the reason for the universe's expansion, with links provided for further reading and resources.
Abscissas
Hey i am new to the forum but i have done some studying and I am trying to wrap my head around something but I am not sure if I am quite getting it i was hoping if someone could direct me to some reading or books, and so here it is, i was recently explained to that as the universe is expanding everything in it expands with it like a graph being stretched but for example the stars are on the points in the graph now, but does that mean that the stars and galaxies don't move beyond these points but i know that's not true is it? or is it moving in sync with the points on the graph, or am i just looking at this the wrong way?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Abscissas said:
Hey i am new to the forum but i have done some studying and I am trying to wrap my head around something but I am not sure if I am quite getting it i was hoping if someone could direct me to some reading or books, and so here it is, i was recently explained to that as the universe is expanding everything in it expands with it like a graph being stretched but for example the stars are on the points in the graph now, but does that mean that the stars and galaxies don't move beyond these points but i know that's not true is it? or is it moving in sync with the points on the graph, or am i just looking at this the wrong way?

Perhaps this will help:

www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy

Phinds balloon analogy is a good one.
On the descriptive you gave above. I would like to clarify you graph analogy. Think of those points on the graph as coordinates. The coordinates do not change. The space between coordinates expand evenly in all directions. Expansion does not provide inertia or motion to those coordinates Individual stars and galaxies maintain their normal velocities. That graph example only represents expansion which has nothing to do with inertia.
One other note expansion is easily overpowered by gravity. Such as galaxy clusters. So we usually state that expansion does not occur in gravitationally bound regions.

Thank you for your response and the great read so let's say the pennies are expanding on the surface of the balloon they don't change mass or velocity am i correct? but now this leads me to ask how do the galaxies move? is it from the momentum of each others gravity?

Mordred said:
The coordinates do not change. The space between coordinates expand evenly in all directions.
This is where i become less read but I am going to try to use common sense, if the universe is expanding then the volume in it must be decreasing unless new matter is being created.Is there a particular reason why the universe is expanding? at this point i feel like i can find the answer somewhere in the forums, rendering this post useless i suppose my question is why is the universe expanding and would there be a way to ride the expansion sort of like an ocean wave or to accelerate it?

FAQs is a good place to start.
The FAQ subforum has some good articles.

Also this site has a decent tutorial as well

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_01.htm

In your questions above switch
volume with density. The link I provided along with the PF FAQ subforum will provide those answers.

Thank you

Thank you man your a very helpful person it is greatly appreciated

1. What is universe expansion?

Universe expansion is the theory that the universe is constantly increasing in size over time. This means that the distance between galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies is getting larger.

2. How is universe expansion measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured through a variety of methods, including the redshift of galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the observation of distant supernovae.

3. What is dark energy and how does it relate to universe expansion?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe. It is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe.

4. Is the universe expanding in all directions?

Yes, the universe is expanding in all directions. This means that no matter where we look in the universe, we will see evidence of expansion.

5. Will the universe continue to expand forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the universe will continue to expand forever. However, the rate of expansion may change over time due to the influence of dark energy.