Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universe Expansion

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    Is it possible that our universe is just one of more universes and that our universe just appears to be expanding because we are actually merging with another universe? Just wondering if it would be a plausible explanation. Maybe the pull from the other universe against the pull from ours makes is seen like an expansion. What do you real scientist think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2
    Expansion appears to be quite uniform in all directions. If expansion/illusion of expansion is affected by another universe, there would have to be some mechanism that would cause that expansion to appear to be uniform.

I believe it is highly likely that there are many universes. However, because of the uniformity of the expansion, I am of the opinion that our universe is not currently interacting with another universe.

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No. There is absolutely no model that would give anything looking like expansion from anything that could be called "merging of universes".

There are local differences in galaxy motion. But they are within our universe.

5. Aug 25, 2014 #4
    Okay. Is it possible that our observable universe is only a small part of a system that is swirling around it's own gravitational pull and that there are other systems that are doing the same? Are we able to see expansion in all directions? mfb, I'm not a scholar and I don't understand everything. I'm just curious, so if you could explain some of your answers, I would appreciate it. Thanks to you both for answering my questions.

6. Aug 25, 2014 #5
    have you seen this illustration of the OU?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Earth%27s_Location_in_the_Universe_%28JPEG%29.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Aug 27, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean with "swirling around it's own gravitational pull"?

It is always possible that there are other universes without any connection to ours. And it is impossible to rule that out.

Yes, and it is the same rate in all directions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook