Why Did NASA Rename Its Astrophysics Division to Universe?

In summary, NASA has renamed their "Astrophysics" division to the "Universe" division, and has appointed Jon Morse as the new director. This change reflects the current projects and public interest in the cosmos, and the link provides a list of current and future "Universe" missions with brief descriptions.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
"Universe" section of NASA

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/missions/universe.html

NASA Science Missions Directorate used to have a division they called "Astrophysics". According to Steinn's blog (Dynamics of Cats)
they renamed it the Universe division

http://scienceblogs.com/catdynamics/2007/04/nasa_we_hear_that.php

Steinn also mentions appointment of a new director---Jon Morse
picture and short bio here:
http://heritage.stsci.edu/2006/35/bio/bio_primary.html

The link gives a handy list of current and future "Universe" missions, with brief descriptions.

Personally I like the shift in nuance. I think it accords well with the way NASA missions connect to the public imagination. If you have a look at the Amazon physics bestseller list you'll see a remarkable number of books with the U-word in the title or its synonym cosmos. I also think the new name is more descriptive than the old---it accurately reflects what the listed current projects are investigating and measuring.

Any comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
I think the new Universe division at NASA is a great idea. It accurately reflects the current projects and the public imagination. I think it's great that NASA appointed Jon Morse as the new director - his short bio looks impressive! I'm interested to hear other thoughts on this change and what it means for future missions.

1. What is the Universe section of NASA?

The Universe section of NASA is a branch of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration that focuses on studying and understanding the vast expanse of space beyond our planet Earth.

2. What kind of research does the Universe section of NASA conduct?

The Universe section of NASA conducts a variety of research projects, such as studying the origins and evolution of the universe, investigating the properties of galaxies and black holes, and searching for habitable planets outside of our solar system.

3. How does the Universe section of NASA gather data and information about the universe?

NASA uses a variety of methods to gather data and information about the universe, including telescopes and satellites that can detect different wavelengths of light, as well as space probes that can collect data from other planets and objects in our solar system.

4. What are some recent discoveries made by the Universe section of NASA?

In recent years, the Universe section of NASA has made many groundbreaking discoveries, such as the detection of gravitational waves, the discovery of water on Mars, and the confirmation of thousands of exoplanets orbiting other stars.

5. How can the general public access information and updates from the Universe section of NASA?

The Universe section of NASA provides regular updates and information on their website and social media platforms, as well as through educational programs and public outreach events. Interested individuals can also sign up for newsletters and email alerts to stay informed about the latest discoveries and research projects.