Universities in Europe: Options for 17 Year Olds

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying at a university in mainland Europe, specifically in countries like Germany, Switzerland, Holland, and Ireland. The individual is considering this option due to financial reasons and also mentions potential areas of study such as chemistry or physics. Other participants in the conversation suggest considering other UK universities or even studying in Canada. It is also mentioned that some Scandinavian countries offer free education, but courses are typically taught in the native language. A specific university, Aachen University in Germany, is mentioned as being a good option.
Bladibla
Hello

I currently live in england, and am 17. Am doing just decent schoolwork, with various subject.

17 i think, is a age where you have a lot of options (almost too much) and this applies for university choices. People would usually think oxbridge in england and imperial etc etc.. but realistically, i don't see myself going to these universities.

So i thought maybe i could consider going international in mainland europe in terms of university. By no means am i saying that i will be bright enough to go to european universities (I'm just give it my best shot) but can anyone give me information on universities in mainland europe?

Thanks

blad.

Physics news on Phys.org
These could be useful sources of information :

http://www.support4learning.org.uk/careers/study_away.htm
http://www.transworldeducation.com/europe.htm
http://www.eurochoice.org.uk/home.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
First decide which country you want to go to, and whether they offer courses spoken in english. Universities and colleges in the Netherlands http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/cdemello/nl.html

Also consider the other UK universities; the difference between an Oxbridge science degree and a similar class science degree from any of the good, red brick universities is far less than you would think.

What are you thinking of studying? This would play a major part in your decision.

brewnog said:
Also consider the other UK universities; the difference between an Oxbridge science degree and a similar class science degree from any of the good, red brick universities is far less than you would think.

What are you thinking of studying? This would play a major part in your decision.

Well, I'm thinking of studying either in the direction of chemistry or physics. Although at the moment, the latter seems more possible.. I'm not sure my physics skills are 'up to touch'.

And about other british universities. Yes, I know that there isn't much difference in degree course, especially when you are looking forward to doing higher education such as Ph.D. The problem is financial really. My brother currently goes to imperial collage on biomedical engineering, but the tuition fee (although to you it may not seem) are horrendous: over 10,000 pounds to be rough.

By no means am i saying that European universities are my 'crappy alternative' in terms of finance, because European universities are quite excellent.

Specific countries I'm looking on is Germany and Swiss, and holland. Although ireland has also not escaped my notice..

Last edited:
Also to bewndog: I've been considering some british universities, erspecially sussex. I don't know why, but that uni seems to attract me..

Why don't you come to Canada. A lot cheaper for education, and Great Universities.
U of Queens
U of Toronto
U of Waterloo
U of McMaster

Regards,

Nenad

Most scandinavian countries provide free education.

Monique said:

So we do ... up to PhD with no cost :smile: (well, course material etc. along the way of course).

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ricks.place/university.html

all the English language options at Dutch Universities

Monique said:

only for citizens right?

jai6638 said:
only for citizens right?

I can only speak for us Finns, but up until now for anyone. May change in some years though.

wow! i didnt know that... how does Finlands undergraduate education rank in compared to US? Also, are the courses taught in English and is English enough to get aruond in Finland or knowledge of Finnish is needed to converse with the locals?

jai6638 said:
wow! i didnt know that... how does Finlands undergraduate education rank in compared to US? Also, are the courses taught in English and is English enough to get aruond in Finland or knowledge of Finnish is needed to converse with the locals?

Usually we've no problems what comes to rankings ... all Nordic countries tend to be at the very top end. In Finland it's pretty easy to go about using English, since our native language isn't spoken anywhere else ... :yuck: & :biggrin: ... English is a mandatory subject starting from 3rd grade ... several, but naturally not all undergrad courses are taught in English ... much of the very basic stuff is taught in Finnish, but overall e.g. course material is typically available (or more like only) in English, at least what comes to scientifical universities.

I've heard aahen (sp)? university in Germany is quite good. Anyone have any information on it?

Usually we've no problems what comes to rankings ... all Nordic countries tend to be at the very top end. In Finland it's pretty easy to go about using English, since our native language isn't spoken anywhere else ... & ... English is a mandatory subject starting from 3rd grade ... several, but naturally not all undergrad courses are taught in English ... much of the very basic stuff is taught in Finnish, but overall e.g. course material is typically available (or more like only) in English, at least what comes to scientifical universities

interesting... thanks for the info :)

Bladibla said:
I've heard aahen (sp)? university in Germany is quite good. Anyone have any information on it?

Haven't studied there but visited some of their labs on couple of occations ... been impressed every time ! "Sturdy", traditional uni in my opinion.

AFAIK, all the nordic countries have "free" education, but (at least in Denmark, and i believe sweden as well) all undergraduate courses are taught in the native language. Here (Denmark) most of the study material is in english, but all lectures and exams are in danish. Actually here in denmark, danish citizens, and people who have lived and worked here (in at least a 50% job) for 2 years get a "scholarship" from the government. Aroudn 800$ a month as a grant each month, with the option of a 350$ loan a month as well.

1. What are the top universities in Europe for 17 year olds?

Some of the top universities in Europe for 17 year olds include University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, ETH Zurich, Imperial College London, and University College London.

2. Is it possible for a 17 year old to attend university in Europe?

Yes, it is possible for a 17 year old to attend university in Europe. However, the minimum age requirement may vary depending on the country and university. Some universities may accept 17 year olds if they have completed high school or an equivalent level of education.

3. What are the benefits of attending university in Europe at 17?

Attending university in Europe at 17 can offer many benefits such as exposure to different cultures, languages, and ways of thinking. It can also provide opportunities for personal and academic growth, as well as the chance to network with students from all over the world.

4. How do I apply to universities in Europe as a 17 year old?

The application process may vary depending on the university and country. Generally, you will need to research the specific requirements and deadlines for each university you are interested in. Some common requirements may include transcripts, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

5. Are there scholarships available for 17 year olds studying in Europe?

Yes, there are scholarships available for 17 year olds studying in Europe. Many universities offer scholarships specifically for international students, and there are also external scholarship opportunities that may be available. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early, as they can greatly reduce the cost of studying in Europe.