1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universities - Rumors

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    Ive heard rumors that Sfu has the highest suicidal rate. Also i want to know why Sfu is so much hated by alot of people. Alot of people tell me not to consider sfu for business courses or engineering course but people that go to sfu tells me to consider it, so im confused.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

SFU is...?

I have an idea, but be more clear!
  4. Jan 10, 2008 #3
    Sfu is a university in canada. Its called Simon Fraser University.
  5. Jan 11, 2008 #4
    ah yeah SFU in the US is southern florida university, a place you prolly don't want to go to. Perhaps this is part of your confusion?
  6. Jan 11, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simon Fraser University is in Vancouver BC (Canada)
    Possibly not as well known as nearby UBC (University of British Columbia) but very pleasant place in very nice surroundings.
    I think its business school is quite well regarded.
  7. Jan 11, 2008 #6
    It's isolated on a hill with dark, dreary, drab weather most of the time. Also the campus is very... full of concrete. Not a very welcoming place in my opinion. :P Supposedly the campus was designed by someone known for designing prisons.
  8. Jan 11, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep that's Vancouver - at least the hill means it doesn't flood.

All universities look like that - I assume that in Vancouver they at least (re)discovered the water shedding sloping roof! ps. You should see the Cavendish lab at Cambridge.
  9. Jan 11, 2008 #8
    My school actually looks fairly pretty from the outside. When you step inside any of the buildings, you start to feel bad for the students, though. The music building is by far the worst that I've seen. Whereas Mary Gates Hall and that Comp Sci building Paul Allen funded are really nice. I hate comp sci majors... :(
  10. Jan 11, 2008 #9
    Are you serious? I was thinking of applying there. I know that one of the postdocs who made the first BEC in Colorado is now teaching there.

Where did you get this rumor?
  11. Jan 11, 2008 #10
    No reason not to apply. There's no curse or anything. I have a bunch of friends that went there and enjoyed it.

If you can, visit it in person.
  12. Jan 11, 2008 #11

Homework Helper

I would very much distrust the rumour about the high suicide rate. I have heard of only one (successful) student suicide, at least in the residences, and that happened off the hill. An article in the student newspaper about this suicide (http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/2006-1/issue13/ne-staiger.html) notes:

As for the Burnaby mountain campus being drab and dreary and depressing, sure, it's mostly made of concrete, but I think getting depressed by the grey you would see lots of is more a reflection of a person's general attitude about everything. If one finds the campus really depressing, then that person probably has a negative outlook and tendency to be depressed by such things anyways. Quite frankly, when it's sunny out (which does happen with reasonable frequency, especially in spring and summer), I think the campus is gorgeous. When it's overcast out and everything looks grey, I don't think the campus looks fantastic, but I'm not going to go pout about it.

The campus isn't quite so isolated, either. Sure, it's up on a mountain of sorts, but there's constant bus transit off of it. Every student gets a bus pass each semester (it's about $90-$100 per semester, but that's well worth it if you would have to be buying monthly bus passes otherwise), so it's really very easy to get off the hill and go downtown, which only takes about 45 minutes to go all the way to downtown Vancouver.

I don't know much about the business program there, but I think you can take some courses at the two other SFU campuses in Surrey and Downtown Vancouver. Both of these campus are very nice, though not very large - they both fit in single buildings. I don't know too much about the engineering courses, either, though I think the engineering options are biomedical, electrical engineering, engineering physics, and maybe a few others, but I'm pretty sure civil engineering is not one of the options, so if that's the kind of engineering you're looking for you might want to consider other options.

Program information:

Academic Calendar for 07/08:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?