1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universities to apply for?

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    Hi all,
    May be this topic has been discussed many times in forums.

I am a design engineer(experience of 2+ years in control systems, embedded) from India wishing to pursue my masters in applied physics(optics or solid state physics or photonics).

I took the ielts exam and got overall of 6.5 . I was planning to apply for european universities preferably Germany.

While I took this step, I am confused as to which universities should I apply for since my experience was in embedded and control systems. As most of the universities say relevant work experience is a plus, I don't have a relevant work experience( considering the fact that I worked with different controllers and circuit design).

So which universities should I look for in Germany? Does it really mean that I will be given the least preference? Is there any way to strengthen my application to universities? I did some courses in edx(but I dont think that will be really helpful for me).

Kindly give me some guidance. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2013 #2
    Start calling around to various departments, and talking to professors at the schools. A large part of my graduate school applications are for engineering, even though I am an undergraduate physics major. Some professors and departments are very agreeable, and understand that if you are a math/science/engineering inclined mind in one area, you can probably pick up the pieces and move to another discipline fairly easily. Some schools even do dual programs (A school I'm looking at offers a PhD. in solid state physics for example, with a masters in electrical engineering). Other schools and professors will look at you like you are scum for not chosing their discipline from the start. I had another school where the department head of the EE department spent a full half hour telling me that I could apply to the school and probably get accepted, but would be an abysmal failure and a waste of their time. This was when I was going into my Junior year and was asking for advice on what courses to take to strengthen my skills in the electrical engineering field, including personal/independent studies. Needless to say, that school is not getting an application from me, and I've formed a very biased view of that department. Each school is different, best way to find out is to talk with them and see.

This is just general advice from someone who is in need of just as much guidance as you, if not more, so take it with a grain of salt, and hopefully someone who has done the hunt on the European playing field can chime in with more specific information.

Happy hunting!

4. Sep 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot for the kind and encouraging words. Already I am in the process of asking the schools.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook